All of the bold flavors of a burrito with much less fuss! These Protein-Packed Vegetarian Burrito Bowls are delicious and nutritious.
People often ask me for nutritious, easy vegetarian recipe ideas. I’m always happy to see that my vegetarian recipes are some of the most popular posts on my site. You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy vegetarian dishes.
Thanks to movements like Meatless Mondays, many people are trying to decrease the amount of meat in their diet and incorporate more plant-based foods. It’s not only good for your health, it’s also good for the planet!
Veggie Burgers- A Good Source of Protein
Sometimes it can be hard to find vegetarian recipes that have a good amount of protein. My Vegetarian Burrito Bowls are hearty, delicious, and packed with protein.
I used Boca veggie burgers in this dish but you can really use any type of veggie burger that you like. Many brands of veggie burgers have a good amount of protein but there is a lot of variability so be sure to read the labels.
Some brands have (like Boca, Dr. Praeger's, and Sweet Earth) products that contain more than 20 grams of protein per burger. That's even more than a beef patty! Other popular brands of plant-based burgers like the Beyond Meat Burger and Impossible Burger contain 19-20 grams of protein.
Ways to Enjoy Veggie Burgers
Veggie burgers aren't just for eating on a bun. You can use them in a variety of recipes to add a boost of protein to your dishes. Try chopping them up and using them in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and wraps.
You can even add them to your favorite vegetarian chili recipe. I decided to use veggie burgers to make delicious, protein-packed vegetarian burrito bowls.
How to Make Burrito Bowls
Burrito bowls are great because you can take all of your favorite burrito ingredients and pile them up in a bowl- no need for complicated tortilla rolling. I start with a bowl of nutritious brown rice as the base. You can also use other grains like quinoa if you want an extra boost of protein. Then, you just pile on your toppings! I use a chopped up veggie burger, homemade corn salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado. I also make a creamy avocado cilantro sauce. A drizzle of the cooling sauce is the perfect finishing touch on this tasty protein-packed dish.
More Vegetarian Recipes:
Protein-Packed Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- 4 veggie burgers (I used Boca burgers)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (or other grain like quinoa)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ½ cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- ½ ripe Haas avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- ½ ripe Haas avocado
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook the veggie burgers according to package directions. Chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix all of the corn salsa ingredients together in a bowl.
- To make the avocado cilantro sauce, puree all of the ingredients in a mini food processor or blender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls. Top with equal portions of Boca patties, corn salsa, tomato, lettuce and avocado. Drizzle the avocado cilantro sauce on top. Enjoy!