By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by siggi’s yogurt and am eligible to
win prizes associated with the contest. I received coupons for free samples of siggi's yogurt.
bread, pumpkin spice lattes, you name it- I’m a fan of them all. If you read my last post, then you know that I’m especially excited about Thanksgiving this year because my family is coming to Florida and I’m doing the cooking. Because the main course is going to be a big meal, I plan to make just a
couple of small but delicious appetizers to whet everyone’s appetites. My Pumpkin Spice Meatballs with Orange & Ginger Cranberry Sauce are the perfect holiday appetizer. They’re light, nutritious, and packed with the flavors of fall. Plus, these adorable morsels are bite-sized, so they won’t fill your guests up too much before the main course.
meatballs are made with ground turkey, pumpkin puree and siggi’s Pumpkin & Spice skyr, and are seasoned with fragrant spices like allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. In addition to adding depth of flavor, the siggi’s skyr also helps to keep the meatballs nice and moist (and it adds a boost of protein).
orange are a classic pairing and the ginger adds an extra boost of holiday flavor. Cranberries are packed with vitamins, minerals and a substantial amount of phytonutrients (natural, plant-based compounds), especially disease-fighting antioxidants. Fresh cranberries are plentiful at grocery stores this time of year, but if you can’t find them, frozen berries are always available. You can make a quick cranberry sauce on the stovetop while the meatballs bake in the oven. Then, simply swirl the ruby red sauce into the creamy Orange & Ginger skyr. Keeping with siggi’s philosophy of not a lot of sugar, the tangy and tart sauce has just a hint of sweetness and is the perfect compliment to the savory meatballs.
Pumpkin Spice Meatballs with Orange & Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Spice Meatballs:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- ¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons siggi’s Pumpkin & Spice 2% Skyr
- ¼ cup reduced fat milk
- 2 ounces whole wheat bread (about 2 slices)
- 1 package (1.2 pounds) 93% lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup canned 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Orange & Ginger Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 (150 g) siggi’s Orange & Ginger 0% Skyrcontainer
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick silicone baking mats.
- Heat ½ tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and translucent, 5-6 minutes. Cool.
- Mix the siggi’s Pumpkin & Spice 2% Skyr and milk together in a bowl. Tear the bread into pieces and add it to the bowl, pushing it down so that it is soaked with the liquid.
- Place the ground turkey in a large bowl and add the pumpkin puree, egg, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add the cooled onion and the bread/yogurt mixture to the bowl. Mix everything together with clean hands until well incorporated.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs about 1 ½ tablespoons each and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the meatballs with the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the broiler on and place the baking sheets on the highest shelf in the oven just under the heat source. Broil 4-6 minutes until meatballs are lightly browned. Let meatballs cool slightly and serve with Orange & Ginger Cranberry Sauce.
- To make the Orange & Ginger Cranberry Sauce, place the cranberries, orange juice and water together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Simmer 12-15 minutes until cranberries have burst and a thick sauce forms. Mash the cranberries with a spoon as they cook. Stir in the honey. Let the cranberry sauce cool and then swirl it together with the siggi"s Orange & Ginger 0% Skyr in a bowl. Serve sauce with the meatballs.