Grown up avocado grilled cheese sandwiches paired with a piping hot bowl of soup- comfort food at its best.
Don’t you just love tucking into a piping hot bowl of soup on a cold day? Soup is the ultimate comfort food. On the weekends, when I have a little more time, I love making a huge pot of homemade chicken soup with lots of fresh vegetables, herbs and noodles. As it simmers away on the stove, it fills the house with a delicious, earthy aroma.
I like pairing soup with other dishes and serving it as a complete meal. Whether you’re cooking for one or for a family, it makes meal prep super quick and easy. When I was growing up, the ultimate comfort food was soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. Back then, the sandwiches were made with American cheese on white bread. My tastes have grown up a little since then!
So the other night, I heated up a bowl of chicken noodle soup and to pair with it, I decided to make my Grilled Cheese with Avocado Pesto – my grown up twist on a classic grilled cheese. I used pepper jack cheese and a creamy, homemade avocado pesto sandwiched between two slices of chewy multigrain bread.
To make the avocado pesto, I pureed up roasted pepitas, which I had in my pantry. Pepitas are pumpkin seeds- they’re delicious, packed with nutrients, and perfect for snacking.
To the pepitas, I added garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and creamy avocado. The avocado pesto is delicious spread on a grilled cheese but you could also toss it with pasta, serve it as a dip or use it as a topping for grilled fish or chicken.
While my soup was heating up, I gave my avocado grilled cheese sandwiches a quick toast in a hot skillet to crisp up the outside and dinner was done! Golden brown on the outside with plenty of ooey, gooey cheese and creamy avocado on the inside- yum! Just perfect served with a bowl soup on the side. Grown up comfort food at its best.
More tasty sandwiches
- Turkey and Cranberry Panini
- Edamame Falafel Sandwiches
- Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- New England Lobster Rolls
- Greek Meatballs Pita Sandwiches
Grilled Cheese with Avocado Pesto
- ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Place the pepitas in a mini food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add the garlic and cilantro and pulse a few more times until chopped. Add the avocado, lime juice, salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and top each one with a slice of cheese. Spread the avocado pesto on the remaining 4 slices of bread and close the sandwiches.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a large cast iron or other skillet. Place two of the sandwiches in the pan and cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip the sandwiches over and cook another 2-3 minutes until toasted and golden brown. Remove them from the skillet. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter in the skillet and cook the other 2 sandwiches.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and serve.