Today I’m excited to review my dear friend Ally’s new cookbook, Ally’s Kitchen: A Passport for Adventurous Palates. You may know Ally from her popular blog, Ally’s Kitchen. In this unique book, she shares her favorite recipes from around the globe and lets you wander the world without ever leaving your kitchen!
Makai Paka (corn in a coconut curry sauce), Camaroon Banana Crepes with Ground Walnuts and Chocolate Drizzle, Singaporean Grilled Glazed Salmon and Syrniki with Blueberries (cottage cheese pancakes). But since it is Mother’s Day, I wanted to make a recipe that I know my mom would enjoy for brunch. And although my mom and I are very different in this regard, she’s never had a sweet tooth (she doesn’t even like chocolate, if you can believe that!). So ultimately, I decided to make Ally’s Greek Eggs with Spinach, Mozzarella & Cherry Peppers. My mom loves egg dishes and I’m a huge fan of Greek flavors so I knew this one would be a hit. Plus, I couldn’t resist trying this recipe once I read the story about a young Ally being swept off her feet in Greece by a gentleman named Maurice. This recipe was easy to make, used simple ingredients and all came together in one skillet. The combination of eggs, tangy peppers, creamy cheese and Greek spices was perfect!
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used olive oil)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (I used reduced fat)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (I used 1/8 teaspoon since my toddler was sharing)
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 4-5 small mozzarella balls
- 2 cherry peppers (from grocery market deli bar), sliced in halves
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning (I used a mixture of dried oregano, parsley, marjoram, thyme and garlic powder)
- In a small (4- or 5-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, salt and chili flakes; mix well. Add the spinach and basil and just give one or two stirs. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Add the mozzarella and cherry peppers and sprinkle Greek seasoning on top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and use a rubber spatula to gently lift up the edges of the egg mixture, tilting the skillet slightly to let the uncooked eggs run under the bottom. Cover and cook another minute or two. Do this two or three more times until the eggs are completely cooked. When done, serve this straight from the skillet. If there are two hungry mouths, share by cutting it in half.
order a book:
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/allys-kitchen-alice-phillips/1120728889?ean=9781462115464
Tour Page: http://blog.cedarfort.com/blog-tour-allys-kitchen/