These Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are packed with flavor and are the perfect healthy side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
As a serious foodie, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of the year. And although I’m a fan of the traditional Thanksgiving turkey, I’m usually more interested in the side dishes. The side dishes are where I get to express my creativity. I love having traditional sides on my Thanksgiving table (I’ve got to have my mashed potatoes) but I love trying out new dishes too (like my Savory Naan Bread Pudding with Spinach and Caramelized Onions, which will be making its Thanksgiving debut this year).
Another staple that’s always on our Thanksgiving table is a sweet potato dish. Usually my husband Pete makes a traditional sweet potato casserole but this year I’m trying something different. My Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes have all of the flavors of a sweet potato casserole in an adorable, edible package.
How to make twice baked sweet potatoes
To make twice baked potatoes, you first bake the potatoes in the oven until tender. Then you slice them in half, scoop out the insides and mix it all together with other ingredients and seasonings. Finally, you spoon it all back into the potato shells and bake them a second time until heated through. Twice baked potatoes are usually made with white potatoes but I love to use sweet potatoes. Not only do I love their sweet flavor, they’re also nutritional powerhouses.
I like to use Greek yogurt in the sweet potato filling. It adds richness to the filling and gives it a soft, fluffy texture. Plus it adds a nice boost of protein. You can use plain or coconut-flavored yogurt for an interesting twist. To up the flavor even more, I stir in traditional holiday spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Normally I would just spoon the filling back into the potato shells but for special occasions like this, I like to pipe it in with a piping bag. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can easily make one with a Ziplock bag.
Before the potatoes go back in the oven, I like to sprinkle them with some chopped nuts and a touch of brown sugar. Then after just 10 more minutes, they’re ready to be devoured! You can serve them as is or with an extra dollop of yogurt on top. Happy Thanksgiving!
What are you planning to serve for Thanksgiving this year?
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 container (5.3 oz) plain or coconut flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Optional topping: Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and place them on a lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven until tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh, leaving a ¼-inch border. Place the flesh in a food processor with the yogurt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Process until smooth.
- Place the potato skins on a baking sheet. Using a piping bag, pipe the filling into the shells. Alternatively, you can spoon the filling with a spoon. Sprinkle the potatoes with chopped nuts and brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven until filling is warm and nuts are toasted, about 10 minutes. Serve plain or with a dollop of yogurt on top.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!