Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken
General Tso's Chicken is a favorite on Chinese restaurant menus everywhere! Crispy chicken is tossed in a spicy, sweet, tangy sauce. This version is better than takeout and healthier too! Plus it can be made gluten free. Make it in the air fryer for a delicious dinner in under 30 minutes.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time10 minutes mins
Total Time25 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8 thighs), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari if gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or other neutral-flavored oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari if gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce (can use gluten-free Hoisin sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ¾ cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Mix the chicken with 2 teaspoons soy sauce and let it sit for a few minutes to marinate. Then, toss the chicken and cornstarch together in a large zip topped plastic bag until the chicken pieces are fully coated.
Spray or brush the air fryer rack with oil and arrange the chicken pieces on the rack in a single layer. Do not overcrowd the pan (you may have to cook the chicken in batches). Cook 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Shake the basket halfway through. Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Cook the remaining chicken.
To make the sauce, heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, and sesame oil and simmer 2-3 minutes. Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add it to the saucepan. Simmer another minute or two until thickened. Remove from heat.
Remove chicken from the air fryer and toss with the sauce. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with brown rice.
- To keep this recipe gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce and gluten-free Hoisin sauce.
- If you don't have an air fryer, you can cook the chicken in a skillet on the stove. Sauté the chicken in a little olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown and cooked through. You can also bake the chicken on a sheet pan in the oven. Spray or brush chicken with olive oil and bake at 400°F, flipping halfway through, about 15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the dish for up to 3 months.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 717mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 119IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg