Quick and Easy Chicken Cacciatore
Rustic, hearty, and perfect for fall, my Chicken Cacciatore is easy to make and packed with fresh flavor.
Servings: 4 -6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.75 lbs)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, sliced (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 ½ cups jarred marinara sauce
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh basil, torn
Heat the oil in large braiser or Dutch oven over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to the pot. Cook until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes on the second side. Remove chicken from pot and place on a plate.
Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, bell peppers, and mushrooms to the pot and season them with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the wine and cook 2-3 minutes until reduced, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add the oregano, tomatoes, capers, marinara sauce and chicken broth and stir to combine. Nestle the chicken thighs back into the sauce, covering them. Cover the pot and simmer on medium low heat until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Uncover and cook another few minutes until sauce thickens. Stir in the basil.
Serve with pasta, polenta or crusty bread.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 161mg | Sodium: 1289mg | Potassium: 1056mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1760IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 3mg