Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes with Tropical Kiwi Salsa
Pure, unadulterated crab cake goodness topped with a colorful salsa that’s bursting with flavor- it’s the perfect summer entertaining dish!
Servings: 8 (8 crab cakes)
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ tablespoons avocado oil mayonnaise (or other mayonnaise)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1 ounce (about 1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs*
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil spray
- Lemon wedges for serving
Tropical Kiwi Salsa:
- 1 ½ cups chopped Zespri SunGold kiwifruit (can substitute mango)
- ⅓ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Whisk the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the crab and gently mix to combine. Some of the pieces will break up but try to leave most of them whole. Add the breadcrumbs and parsley and gently mix to combine, being careful not to overmix it.
Form the mixture into 8 cakes, compacting them just enough to hold together. Place them on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil or cooking spray. Mix the olive oil and butter together in a small bowl. Brush the tops of the crab cakes with the mixture and sprinkle with a little paprika.
Bake in the oven 15-17 minutes until crab cakes are cooked through and golden brown. Arrange them on a serving platter and top with salsa. Serve extra salsa on the side along with lemon wedges.
To make the Tropical Kiwi Salsa, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs, remove the crusts from a couple of pieces of sandwich bread and process them in a food processor until crumbs are formed. If using store bought breadcrumbs, use about ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg