Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
This nutritious twist on lasagna uses spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Spaghetti squash has a mild, slightly sweet flavor and is loaded with nutrients. Packed with protein and fiber, this dish will keep you feeling full and satisfied!
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 ½ pounds)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided use
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 container (15 ounces) part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 6 ounces (1 ½ cups) reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
- ⅓ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Brush the flesh with 1 teaspoon oil. Place them cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. When the squash is cooled, scrape the flesh with a fork so that it forms spaghetti-like strands. You should have a total of about 6 cups total.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating 2 teaspoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes until partially softened. Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer the sauce for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
Mix the ricotta, egg, spinach, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Squeeze all of the liquid from the spaghetti squash and add it to the bowl (the squash releases a lot of water as it cooks so make sure to squeeze it well). Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
Turn the heat on the oven down to 375°F. To assemble the lasagna, spread about 1 ½ cups of the sauce on the bottom of an 8x11-inch baking dish. Add the squash mixture on top and spread it out evenly. Spread the remaining tomato sauce over the top of the squash and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and Parmigiano cheese on top.
Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 16.8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 872mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 4.4g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg