Tuscan Kale and Apple Salad
Fresh, clean ingredients with contrasting flavors and textures come together in this visually stunning kale salad.
- 1 bunch (about 10 ounces) Tuscan kale
- 1 medium apple (like Fuji or Honeycrisp), diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 ounce firm cheese (like Piave, Parmigiano-Reggiano or Manchego), shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, mustard, honey and oil together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the salad, remove the kale leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Slice the leaves thinly. Place the kale in a salad bowl and add the dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale, coating all of the leaves well. This will help the kale absorb the dressing and also help tenderize the leaves. Add the apple, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and almonds and toss to combine. Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 738mg | Potassium: 496mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 7164IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 219mg | Iron: 2mg