Award-Winning Shrimp Saganaki (Greek Shrimp with Feta)
My Award-Winning Shrimp Saganaki (Greek Shrimp with Feta) is healthy, easy to make and comes together in one skillet in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots (or 1 small onion), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup dry white wine or ouzo*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound large or extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about ¾ cup)*
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Turn the broiler on high.
In a large oven-safe skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute longer until fragrant.
Stir in the tomatoes (along with the liquid from the can), wine, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add the shrimp to the skillet.
Cook 5-6 minutes until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
Place the skillet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until feta melts and is golden brown in spots. Alternatively, you can cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt.
Sprinkle parsley over the dish. Serve with crusty bread on the side for dipping.
Ouzo, a Greek liquor with a strong anise flavor is classically used in Shrimp Saganaki. However, the flavor is quite strong so I use dry white wine. You can use either one or leave out the alcohol completely.
- This is definitely the time you want to buy the block of authentic Greek feta! Greek feta is made from sheep's milk and has a rich, tangy flavor and creamy texture when it melts. While I occasionally buy pre-crumbled feta, I wouldn't use pre-crumbled cheese in this dish. It's just not as flavorful and doesn't melt as well.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 1470mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 252mg | Iron: 3mg