Pesto Rosso (Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto)
A nice change from traditional green pesto, Pesto Rosso (red pesto) uses tomatoes along with heart healthy almonds.
Servings: 24 (makes 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil*
- ⅓ cup whole roasted almonds (unsalted), toasted*
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until the ingredients are finely chopped. If needed, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
Toss pesto rosso with pasta or serve on crostini. Try it in my Red Pesto (Pesto Rosso) Pasta with Eggplant.
Store pesto rosso in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- I tested this recipe using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. If using dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you may need to use more olive oil to achieve the proper consistency.
- Toast the almonds in a toaster oven for a few minutes to intensify their flavor.
Serving: 1 tablespoon | Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 101IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg