White gazpacho or ajo blanco, is a delicious and refreshing cold soup originating from the Andalusian region of Spain.
- 2.5 ounces cubed white bread (about 2 cups) from a baguette, Italian loaf or sliced bread (crust cut off)
- 1 ½ cups cold water, divided use
- ⅓ cup whole, blanched almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 cups diced, peeled English cucumber (about 1 large cucumber)
- ¾ cup green grapes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chives or scallions for garnish (optional)
Place the bread cubes in a bowl and pour ½ cup water on top to soften them.
Place the almonds and garlic in a blender and puree until finely ground. Add the shallot, cucumber, grapes, oil, vinegar, salt and softened bread to the blender along with the remaining 1 cup water. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Add more water to the soup as needed to achieve desired consistency. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Serve in bowls or glasses and garnish with sliced grapes, almonds and chives or scallions if desired.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.9g | Protein: 4.5g | Fat: 13.7g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg