I was asked to create a healthy snack recipe incorporating Sunsweet® prunes. As a busy working mom who usually works 12-hour shifts in the hospital, I definitely understand the importance of nutritious snacks to give me long-lasting energy. Sunsweet® prunes are a naturally low calorie snack that have no added sugar or preservatives. They’re packed with fiber, which is important for maintaining good digestive health. A diet high in fiber also helps to reduce cholesterol levels, regulate blood pressure, stabilize blood sugar levels and promote heart health. In addition, prunes are rich in several other nutrients like potassium, Vitamin K and copper, which in combination have many benefits including promoting bone health.
which are conveniently diced into small pieces. They’re perfect for tossing into oatmeal, yogurt, granola, salads or just about anything else you can think of. My daughter loves to gobble them up by the handful!
Although popcorn may not be a traditional ingredient in trail mix, it’s a healthy and affordable whole grain that’s packed with nutrients. Be careful though as many brands of microwave popcorn are loaded with partially hydrogenated oils and sodium. The healthiest way to make popcorn is with an
air popper. Then you can spray it lightly with olive oil and add your own flavorings. The Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes add a bright pop of flavor that nicely complement the other ingredients.
- 4 cups air popped popcorn
- Olive oil (use an oil sprayer)
- Sea salt
- 1 cup mixed roasted nuts (like almonds, walnuts, cashews, Brazil nuts and pecans)
- ½ cup Sunsweet® Amaz!n™Diced Prunes
- ½ cup banana chips
- ⅓ cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl and spray the kernels with olive oil until lightly coated. Season with salt to taste. Add the nuts, prunes, banana chips and coconut flakes and toss to combine.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.