Smoked foods are among the most commonly predicted food trends for 2015. Both restaurant chefs and home cooks are experimenting with smoking techniques to add flavor to food and even drinks! If you don’t have a smoker at home, don’t fear. You can add smokiness to your food using spices. This month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to share a healthy dish that we’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness. My Crispy Spiced Chickpeas definitely fit the bill. They’re dusted with Moroccan spices and roasted in the oven. Crunchy, smoky and packed with nutrients, these addictive morsels are the perfect snack. Keep them in a plastic bag and take them on the go so you have something healthy and satisfying to reach for when hunger strikes.
you can incorporate them into your diet:
- Add them to soups and salads
- Use them in Indian curries (Try my Chickpea and Spinach Curry)
- Puree them with tahini, olive oil and garlic to make your own hummus
- Mash them up and use them to make falafel or veggie burgers
- Stir them into quinoa, rice or couscous for a quick and easy side dish
- Use chickpea flour in baked goods
- Roast them in the oven for a crispy treat
My Crispy Spiced Chickpeas are a tasty and nutritious snack and they’re so easy to make! Simply toss canned chickpeas with some olive oil and spices and roast them in the oven until crunchy. Feel free to mix up the spices to create your own blends. Store the chickpeas at room temperature in a resealable bag or other airtight container.
Check out the links below to see how my fellow Recipe Reduxers are heating up the New Year!