Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, these avocado fries are not only nutritious- they’re downright addictive!
Move over French fries, there’s a new fry on the block! Just when I thought avocados couldn’t get any better, I discovered these beauties. Coated in panko breadcrumbs and baked to golden, crispy perfection, these crispy avocado fries are not only nutritious- they’re downright addictive!
Like other vegetable fries, avocado fries are easy to make. And instead of frying them, you can bake them in the oven so that they’re healthier. You just need to set up a simple breading station with flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. Then, once they’re nice and coated, arrange the fries on a baking sheet, spray them with a little oil so that the breadcrumbs brown nicely, and pop them in the oven.
When they emerge from the oven a short time later, they’ll be crispy on the outside and deliciously creamy on the inside. Paired with my smoky Chipotle Crema for dippping, they’re the perfect snack. These fries are also a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables. In fact, they won’t be able to keep their hands off of them!
To make the Chipotle Crema, I use Greek yogurt- the thick, creamy yogurt provides just the right amount of tanginess to counterbalance the spices on the fries. And for my food prep, I used my new Kitchen IQ cutting boards and measuring spoons. I love the bright colors and I’m excited that I now have multiple cutting boards to help prevent cross contamination. I plan to use one solely for meat, poultry and seafood and another one for fruits and veggies. And one of them will definitely be for my daughter Sienna when she’s assisting me in the kitchen (she’s already claimed the red one)!
This dish is part of my Cook Once, Eat Twice series where I make one dish and then transform the leftovers into a completely new dish the next day. It’s a great way to save time and also reduce food waste. Stay tuned for a future post where I’ll show you how to use these fries in an entirely new and equally delicious dish!
Crispy Baked Avocado Fries
- 2 firm-ripe Haas avocados- peeled, pitted and sliced into about 10-12 slices each
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Avocado oil or olive oil spray
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotles in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Set up a breading station. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Whisk the egg and 1 tablespoon water together in a second dish. Mix the breadcrumbs, chili powder, garlic powder and salt together in a third dish. Take the slices of avocado and dredge them in the flour, then dip them in the egg. Then, dredge them in the breadcrumb mixture, coating all sides. Place the avocados on the baking sheet and spray them with cooking spray. Bake 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until golden brown.
- To make the smoky chipotle crema, puree the yogurt, mayonnaise, chipotles in adobo, adobo sauce, paprika and lime juice together in a mini food processor or blender. Serve with the fries.
Click Below to Pin!
Looking for more vegetable fries and finger foods? Try some of my other recipes: