Chase away the last days of winter with this comforting soup dish. My Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup is a quick and easy one pot dish that the whole family will love. Paired with a salad or toasted whole grain bread, it’s perfect for a light supper.
Sweet potatoes are packed with several nutrients and antioxidants including vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium and manganese. They are also a rich source of fiber, which is important for digestive health and helps keep you feeling full longer. Chipotles in adobo add a spicy, smoky flavor to the soup that nicely compliments the sweet potatoes. Feel free to start with a small amount and add more depending on how spicy you want it.
Sweet potatoes are pureed with smoky chipotles and creamy Greek yogurt in @foodiephysician's rich, comforting soup.Click To Tweet
You can puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender or transfer it to a traditional blender. Although it will already be creamy, Greek yogurt adds extra richness to the soup as well as a boost of protein and calcium. I like to swirl in some more Greek yogurt along with fresh cilantro just before serving for bright, fresh flavor (plus it looks really pretty)! This is just one of the many recipes in my cookbook The Greek Yogurt Diet. CLICK HERE to check it out!
Nutrient-packed sweet potatoes are pureed with smoky chipotles in adobo and creamy Greek yogurt in this comforting cold weather soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced chipotles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in large pot over medium high heat and add the onion. Sauté until softened, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chipotles and cumin and cook another minute until fragrant. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the yogurt and continue to puree until it is all incorporated. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup and yogurt to a blender and puree it in batches.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt. Swirl the yogurt in a decorative pattern and garnish with cilantro.