Did you know that you can make delicious chocolate pudding in just about five minutes? Well, not traditional chocolate pudding but rather my simple, delicious Chocolate Tofu Pudding.
The base of this pudding is made with silken tofu, although you would never guess it after tasting it. Tofu is made from ground, coagulated soybeans.
Tofu is low in calories, packed with protein and cholesterol-free. It’s also high in calcium and contains many phytonutrients, plant-based chemicals that are beneficial to your health and help prevent chronic diseases. Soy products are especially high in isoflavones, which have estrogen-like effects on the body and may help prevent conditions like osteoporosis, heart disease and certain types of cancer.
Tofu is actually a very versatile ingredients. In addition, it also absorbs a lot of flavor when you mix it with other ingredients. It’s often used as a meat substitute in savory dishes like stir-fries but don’t limit yourself.
Silken tofu in particular, which is a soft variety of tofu, can be used in a wide variety of dishes. When pureed in a blender, it makes a great, silky smooth base for smoothies, sauces/condiments (like egg-free mayonnaise) and desserts like this Chocolate Tofu Pudding.
Because this recipe only uses a few ingredients, make sure you use good quality chocolate. Simply melt the chocolate, throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend away. I like to add a bit of espresso powder to intensify the chocolate flavor but you can add your favorite flavorings (a touch of cinnamon would be great).
If you can't wait to dive in, you can enjoy it right away. But I prefer to refrigerate the pudding for a couple of hours before serving so that it can chill and thicken up.
Chocolate Tofu Pudding
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 package (16 oz) silken tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- Optional: freshly whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings
- Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave or in a double boiler. Place the tofu in a blender along with the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla and espresso powder. Blend until smooth. Chill before serving. Serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.