Are you looking for a salad recipe that tastes great, is easy to make and will help keep you looking and feeling great? This salad is packed with superfoods like avocados, spinach and pomegranates, which are nutritionally dense foods that are beneficial for your health.
Superfoods are chock full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that have a wide range of positive effects on your health. Why are antioxidants important? Because they help fight damage from disease-causing molecules called free radicals. Increasing the amount of antioxidants in your diet can help counteract your risk of developing chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- 5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 5 ounces watercress, rinsed and dried
- 2 oranges
- 2 Hass avocadoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, from 1 medium pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the spinach and watercress in a large salad bowl.
- Cut the ends off the oranges. Then place each orange cut side down on a cutting board and carefully slice the skin off. Once the skin is removed, cut the orange segments out from between the membranes with a small knife. Work over a bowl so that you can collect any juices. Squeeze all of the juice out of the remaining orange membranes- you should have about 2 tablespoons of juice.
- To make the dressing, whisk two tablespoons of the collected orange juice with the vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the greens with ¾ of the dressing. Arrange the avocado and orange slices on top of the greens and garnish with pomegranate seeds. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top.