My delicious Triple Berry Crumble is bursting with juicy berries and topped with a crunchy streusel topping. It’s perfect for the holidays!
Don't you just love the holidays? I will admit that I’m one of those people who loves almost everything about the holidays- decorating the house, baking cookies, and listening to holiday classics on the radio. But one thing I definitely don’t like is braving the crowds at the stores for holiday shopping. These days, I prefer to buy most of my gifts online. And now I can do my holiday grocery shopping online as well. I plan to get all of the ingredients for my Triple Berry Crumble delivered straight to my front door- it doesn’t get much easier than that!
Fruit crumbles are one of my favorite desserts to make, especially during the holidays. They are super easy to make and can be assembled a day ahead. Plus, they feed a crowd! A delicious baked dessert made with juicy berries and topped with a crunchy, streusel topping- what’s not to love about that?
If you’re wondering why I would make a berry dessert in the winter when berries are out of season, it’s because berries are available all year round in the frozen section of your local grocery store. And you can toss the frozen berries straight into this dish- no need to defrost them first! I use a frozen triple berry blend with strawberries, raspberries and blackberries for the filling. Frozen berries are great to keep in the freezer. I use them in so many dishes including oatmeal, yogurt, salads, and smoothies.
How to make Triple Berry Crumble
- Toss fresh or frozen berries with flour, sugar and vanilla extract. Transfer the mixture to an 8x8-inch baking dish or six individual dessert ramekins.
- Make the crumbly topping to top the sweet berries. First, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together, then cut in the butter with a fork until the butter is the size of peas. To ensure a crumbly texture, make sure the butter is cold when mixing it into the other ingredients.
- Finally, add some oats and chopped pecans to the mixture. This adds nice texture to the topping with a little crunch.
Can You Make Triple Berry Crumble Ahead of Time?
Yes! This is the perfect make ahead dessert. Once the crumbles are assembled, you can refrigerate them. Then when you’re ready to bake them, simply pop them in the oven for about 45 minutes until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Be sure to let them cool a little before diving into them because the filling will thicken slightly as it stands. Then go ahead and devour them as is or if you’re feeling extra indulgent for the holidays, top them off with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Happy Holidays!
Triple Berry Crumble
- Berry Filling:
- 5 cups frozen triple berry blend (strawberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crumble Topping:
- ½ cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Optional: Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
- To make the berry filling, mix the frozen berries, flour, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- To make the crumble topping, mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in another large bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork until it’s the size of peas. Stir in the oats and pecans.
- Pour the berry filling into the prepared ramekins (or baking dish) and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top, spreading it out evenly. Bake in the oven until the berries are cooked and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Serve alone or with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.