My Coconut Curry Shrimp Kebabs are the perfect dish for summer entertaining!
Thank you to siggi’s dairy for sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy dish for summer grilling, then I have just the recipe for you! My Coconut Curry Shrimp Kebabs are perfect for the 4th of July or your next backyard barbecue. I love this dish because it’s elegant enough to serve to company but it’s deceptively easy to make. And, the shrimp cook so fast- just a couple of minutes on each side and you’re done! It’s a great dish for summer entertaining because who really wants to be slaving over a hot grill all day? Make these kebabs and you can spend your time relaxing with your guests, cocktail in hand!
I marinated the shrimp in a yogurt-based marinade before throwing them on the grill. Yogurt is a key ingredient in marinades for many traditional Indian meat dishes like tandoori chicken. The yogurt not only infuses the food with flavor, it also helps keep it moist and acts as a tenderizer.
For the base of my marinade, I used siggi’s Coconut 2% Skyr mixed with a blend of Indian herbs and spices. The subtle coconut flavor in the creamy Icelandic yogurt is perfect to balance out the warm spices. One of the reasons that I love to use siggi’s skyr in my recipes is that their products are made with simple ingredients and not a lot of sugar. Because it has so little sugar, it works well in savory dishes like this as well as sweet dishes. Plus, it’s high in protein- every cup of siggi’s yogurt contains more protein than sugar, even the flavored varieties.#AD My Coconut Curry Shrimp Kebabs made w/ @siggisdairy coconut skyr are perfect for summer grilling! #dailysiggisClick To Tweet
I often like to make my own spice mixes but for my shrimp kebabs, I used a store bought curry powder to save time. Curry powder is not a spice in and of itself but rather a spice blend. There are many different varieties of curry powder but they commonly include ingredients like turmeric (which gives it the characteristic yellow color), cumin, coriander, and fenugreek. I also added in some fresh ginger, garlic, cilantro and lemon juice for an extra pop flavor.
The shrimp only need to be marinated for 10-20 minutes, which is just enough time to fire up the grill and make a quick dipping sauce. For my Mango Dipping Sauce, I mixed the siggi’s Coconut 2% Skyr (you could also use siggi’s Mango 4% Skyr) with store bought mango chutney. Just two ingredients- it doesn’t get much easier than that! The creamy, sweet sauce is the perfect compliment to the aromatic spices in the shrimp.
When you’re ready to grill, simply thread the shrimp onto some skewers and toss them on the grill. Since I had the grill on, I also threw on some zucchini kebabs, which I tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. After a quick turn on the grill, the shrimp kebabs were ready to be served! In addition to the dipping sauce, I like to serve the kebabs with lemon wedges so that everyone can squeeze some fresh lemon juice on just before devouring them.
- 1 container (5.3 oz) siggi’s coconut 2% skyr
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound large shrimp (21/25), peeled and deveined with tails left on
- 1 container (5.3 oz) siggi’s coconut 2% skyr (or mango 4% Skyr)
- ¼ cup store bought mango chutney
- Optional: Lemon wedges for serving
- To make the marinade, whisk the skyr, curry powder, ginger, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, and salt together in a bowl or shallow dish. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Marinate 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by stirring the skyr and mango chutney together in a small bowl.
- When ready to grill, heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Thread the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers (about 3 shrimp per skewer). Grill the kebabs 2-3 minutes on each side until shrimp are cooked through. Serve with mango dipping sauce and lemon wedges on the side.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!