Your guests will rave about these Cheesy Sweet Potato Coins! Nutrient-packed sweet potatoes are sliced into coins, roasted in the oven and topped with melted cheddar cheese and chipotle crema. They’re the perfect, healthy finger food for entertaining.
With the Super Bowl and the Academy Awards both approaching, I decided to create a healthy appetizer that’s perfect for entertaining. These adorable bites definitely fit the bill! I wanted to make a lighter and easier version of one of my favorite party appetizers- potato skins. My Cheesy Sweet Potato Coins with Chipotle Crema have all the flavor of potato skins with none of the fuss. Plus they’re packed with nutrients that are beneficial for your health. This recipe actually won a recipe contest sponsored by Cabot Creamery!
Potato Skins Made Healthier
How to Make Sweet Potato Coins
Next, I top the potato coins off with grated cheddar cheese. The cheese adds a punch of flavor as well as a boost of protein and calcium. Finally, I put the coins back in the oven for a few minutes…just long enough to make the cheese super ooey gooey! A dollop of chipotle infused crema, made with Greek-style yogurt, and a garnish of sliced scallions add the perfect finishing touches.
More Party Appetizer Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Fritters
- Butternut Squash Flatbread with Sweet Pea Greens
- Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes with Tropical Kiwi Salsa
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Deviled Eggs
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta
- Blueberry Brie Bites
Cheesy Sweet Potato Coins with Chipotle Crema
Sweet Potato Coins:
- 1 ½ pounds (about 3 medium) sweet potatoes (choose long, narrow potatoes)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotles in adobo
- ½ teaspoon adobo sauce from the can
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash the potatoes and slice them into ¼-inch slices or “coins.” Place them in a bowl and add the oil, cumin, paprika and salt. Toss to combine well. Arrange the potato coins on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven 10 minutes, then flip and roast another 10 minutes until tender.
- Remove the tray from the oven and sprinkle the coins with equal amounts of cheese. Return the tray to the oven and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle crema by mixing the yogurt, chipotles, adobo sauce and lime juice together in a small bowl.
- Arrange the sweet potato coins on a serving platter. Top each with a dollop of chipotle crema. Garnish with scallions.
|Someone was really excited to "help" mommy with this recipe!|