One of my favorite summer treats are fresh cherries with their lovely red hue and sweet flavor. Cherry season comes and goes in the blink of an eye so when I see them in the store, I don’t hold back. Cherries are also incredibly nutritious and are packed with antioxidants as well as fiber and Vitamin C.
My Cherry Lime Granita is the perfect way to celebrate summer’s bounty. Featuring sweet cherries and bright lime juice, this grown up slushy is a great way to beat the heat. A granita requires no special equipment like an ice cream maker. Rather, it’s made by freezing a flavored liquid or puree in a shallow container and occasionally scraping it with a fork to give it a flaky consistency. It can be an elegant dessert or a fun, refreshing snack on a hot day. It’s also a perfect palate cleanser in a multi-course meal. I like to serve this granita in bowls or even shot glasses for a fun presentation. You can top it with a dollop of whipped cream and some lime zest for an extra treat.
Cherry Lime Granita
- 12 ounces fresh, pitted cherries (can substitute frozen cherries off season)
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 teaspoons honey or sweetener of your choice (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Optional garnishes: whipped cream, lime zest
- Blend all of the ingredients together in a blender. Adjust sweetness to taste. Pour the mixture into a shallow glass baking dish and place in the freezer.
- Remove the dish after 30 minutes and using a fork, scrape the mixture, breaking up any icy clumps. Return the dish to the freezer. Repeat the process every thirty minutes or so, scraping the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals and create a light and fluffy texture. It should take about 2 hours total.
- Scoop the granita into dessert bowls or glasses. Serve plain or garnish with whipped cream and/or lime zest. Serve immediately.
And since we’re talking granitas, my Mocha Espresso Granita is the perfect treat for all you coffee lovers out there!
Check out below to see how my fellow Reduxers celebrate summer produce.