Start your day off right with this nutritious whole grain breakfast. Quinoa might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of breakfast dishes but it’s a nice alternative to traditional oatmeal and it cooks up quickly. Quinoa is an ancient grain with spectacular health benefits. It’s packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals- no wonder the Incas referred to it as the Mother Grain!
Strawberry Almond Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (can substitute any type of milk)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Place the quinoa and 2 cups almond milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is done (10-15 minutes). Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons milk, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Divide the quinoa between 4 bowls and top with equal portions of strawberries, almonds and coconut. Serve immediately.