I’m all about summer salads that take advantage of fresh, seasonal ingredients. I love going to the farmers markets in the summertime when they’re brimming with beautiful produce and then coming home and figuring out how to use them in new and delicious dishes. To me, variety is key when it comes to salads. The ideal salad has to have lots of different ingredients, flavors and textures to keep it interesting. My latest favorite summer salad is my Summer Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken and Creamy Berry Balsamic Dressing.
I love to serve my salads in big bowls or platters. I usually prefer plain white because it allows the colors in the food to pop more. When I found this lovely square serving bowl on the Wayfair site, I knew it was perfect for this dish. All of the vibrant colors in this salad stand out really well on this platter and it makes for an impressive presentation.
While browsing online, I bought an additional item- an adorable ceramic berry fruit basket that’s perfect for holding fresh berries or other fruit or even just for decoration.
Summer Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken and Creamy Berry Balsamic Dressing
- 2 medium chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups mixed, fresh berries (like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries)
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pecans
Creamy Berry Balsamic Dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mixed, fresh berries (like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries)
- ¼ cup Stonyfield Organic Nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat and spray or brush it with olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Cook 5- 6 minutes until browned, then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and let it rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- To make the dressing, blend all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Strain the dressing with a strainer to remove the seeds (optional).
- Arrange the baby spinach in a large serving bowl. Slice the chicken and arrange the slices on top. Scatter the berries, goat cheese, and pecans over the top. Serve the Creamy Berry Balsamic Dressing on the side.
One serving dressing (2 tablespoons): Calories 85; Fat 6.7g (Sat 0.9g); Protein 0.9g; Carb 5g; Fiber 0.7g; Sodium 20mg