Now that my daughter Sienna is in school, I have to pack her lunch three times a week. Even with all of the cooking I do, I must admit that I still sometimes find myself in a lunch rut. I have my usual standbys that I turn to when I’m short on time or creativity like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, yogurt and fresh fruit. But when time permits, I love coming up with fun and healthy new ideas to pack in her lunchbox.
How to Make Zucchini Tots
content so this step is important to prevent the tots from getting soggy. After forming the mixture into tater tot shapes, simply spray them with olive oil and pop them in the oven. After about 20 minutes, they’ll be puffed up and ready to be devoured!
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the grated zucchini in cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and wring all of the excess water out (it will be a lot!).
- Place the zucchini in a bowl along with all of the other ingredients except the olive oil. Mix until combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more breadcrumbs.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take a tablespoon of the mixture and form it into an oval shape. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Arrange the tots on a single layer on the baking sheet and spray or brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until puffed up and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking. Serve with marinara sauce or other dipping sauce.