Easy to make and easy to clean up, my Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Potatoes with Chimichurri is the perfect meal to add to your dinner rotation.
Yes, I’m doing it my friends. I’m jumping on the sheet pan dinner trend and I’m going all in! As a food blogger, I see food trends come and go all the time- that’s part of the territory. Sometimes I get on board with them (smoothie bowls, avocado toast, one-ingredient banana ice cream, and cauliflower pizza all come to mind) and other times, I choose to stay away (sweet potato “toast” anyone?). I first heard about sheet pan dinners about a year ago and at the time, I made a mental bookmark to try them out. Well, I finally got around to testing one and I have to say that I’m a fan!
Why are sheet pan dinners so popular?
So why are sheet pan dinners so popular? Because they are the perfect combination of easy to make and easy to clean up! You simply arrange all of your ingredients on a sheet pan, pop it in the oven, and a short while later, dinner is ready. They’re perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get a nutritious meal on the table for your hungry family. They’re also a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Get your little sous chefs to help you prep the ingredients and toss them with olive oil and seasonings. And don’t be afraid to pile on the colorful veggies!
How to Make Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Chimichurri
For this Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Potatoes with Chimichurri, I decided to go with a classic combination- chicken and potatoes. I mean, who doesn’t love roast chicken? As the chicken cooks, the skin crisps up and the juices baste the potatoes, infusing them with their rich flavor. I also throw some red onions onto the pan for sweetness and color. Then, simply toss all of my ingredients together with olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of cumin for smoky flavor.
I use a whole chicken cut up into parts but you can use chicken breasts, thighs or legs- whatever you like. I would just recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken for this dish since it will yield the best, juiciest results. If you’re watching your calories and saturated fat intake, you can always take off the skin before eating.Easy to make & clean up, my Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Potatoes is the perfect weeknight meal! Click To Tweet
Sheet Pan Meals are Endlessly Customizable
The humble sheet pan makes a great foundation for a wide variety of nutritious meals. Sheet pan dinners are endlessly customizable! When assembling your ingredients, I would just recommend choosing proteins and vegetables that have roughly similar cooking times. For example, I wouldn’t roast salmon with a vegetable that takes a long time to cook (like potatoes) because you run the risk overcooking the fish. Rather I would pair it with asparagus, broccoli, or something similar that cooks quickly.
What is Chimichurri Sauce?
For an extra pop of flavor I decided to make a chimichurri sauce to drizzle on top of this Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Potatoes. Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce that’s commonly eaten throughout South America. It’s an uncooked sauce that’s used as both a marinade and a condiment. Bright and flavorful, it’s made with fresh herbs, olive oil, garlic, and vinegar. It’s just perfect served on top of meat, seafood and vegetables. The recipe makes more than you’ll need for this dish because once you taste it, you’ll want to pour it on top of everything!
Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Potatoes with Chimichurri
- 1 bone-in skin-on chicken, cut into pieces (breasts, thighs, legs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound assorted color baby potatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup packed fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ¼ –½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine or sherry vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken parts on a sheet pan and drizzle them with ½ tablespoon olive oil. Mix the salt, pepper and cumin together in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on the chicken. Toss the potatoes and onion wedges in a bowl with the remaining ½ tablespoon oil and the remaining spice mixture. Arrange the vegetables on the sheet pan around the chicken.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast about 45-50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees on an instant read thermometer) and the vegetables are tender. Baste the chicken with the pan juices about halfway through.
- To make the chimichurri sauce, puree the parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, shallot, chili flakes, salt, olive oil and vinegar together in a food processor.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with chimichurri sauce to drizzle on top.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!
Looking for more tasty dinner ideas? You may also like: