After another beautiful, warm weekend in New York City, I was once again inspired to make a delicious and refreshing drink. Now that the local farmers’ markets are brimming with mouthwatering summer fruit, I like to stock up on these seasonal delights. To keep things interesting, I’m always trying to find new and creative ways to use the fruit. For example, I love making fresh drinks- they’re perfect on a hot day and they make it really easy to get in a few servings of nutritious fruit. A few weeks ago I made a Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade which was a big hit, so I figured I would stick with the lemonade theme and incorporate the ripe honeydew melon that I had sitting on my counter.
I love honeydew but I sometimes hesitate to buy a whole melon since it’s just me and my husband eating it so we usually have a lot left over. This is actually a perfect recipe to use up any leftover fruit that you may have sitting in the fridge. Honeydew is packed with plenty of Vitamin C to help boost your immune system- 1 cup of diced melon has about half of your daily recommended amount. It also is a good source of several other vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B6, folate and potassium.
This recipe is really easy- simply puree the fruit in a blender and add fresh lemon juice, water and a sweetener of your choice. I used agave nectar, but you can use whatever you like such as honey, Stevia or simple syrup made with sugar. The amount you use depends on how sweet the honeydew is. So start with a little- you can always add more if needed. Remember, this is just one possibility but I encourage you to have fun and experiment with all sorts of fruit combinations. Enjoy!
Calories: 89 kcal
- 2 lbs. honeydew melon (about 1/2 medium melon)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons honey or sweetener of your choice (amount will vary depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- Peel and cube the honeydew and puree it in a blender. You should have about 2 cups of puree. Pour it into a pitcher along with the lemon juice, water, and sweetener. Stir to combine well. Serve over ice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 89 Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.1g1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.