This One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream (nice cream) is the perfect summer dessert! It’s quick, easy, healthy and you don’t even need an ice cream maker!
Banana nice cream (one-ingredient banana ice cream) has sure come a long way since I first posted about it back in 2014! Made simply by puréeing frozen bananas in a food processor, this simple dish originally rose to fame as a homemade vegan substitute for ice cream.
Since then it's just grown in popularity. If you're craving the sweet, creamy taste and texture of ice cream but don't want all the calories and fat, then this one-ingredient banana ice cream is for you!
Sometimes called banana soft serve, this healthy ice cream will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. Plus, it's so easy to make- you don’t even need an ice cream maker!
What is Nice Cream?
It's hard to believe, but when you blend chopped up frozen bananas in a food processor, it turns into banana nice cream! It's a a delicious, rich and creamy treat that tastes like soft serve ice cream.
Why You'll Love This Dish
- Only 1 ingredient!
- Quick and easy-takes just a few minutes in the food processor
- Healthy snack or dessert
- Endlessly customizable- experiment with different flavor combinations
This one-ingredient banana ice cream is low calorie, low fat, gluten free, dairy free, cholesterol free and vegan! Plus, it’s packed with a variety of important nutrients like Vitamin B6, fiber, Vitamin C, potassium and manganese.
It’s a nice healthy substitute for ice cream. It's also an excellent nutritious snack for your kids.
How to Make One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream
- Step 1- Cut the bananas into 1-inch pieces. Put them on a plate in a single layer and freeze until solid, at least 2 hours, ideally overnight. Then, place the pieces in a food processor. Alternatively, you can use a high-speed blender.
- Step 2- Purée until creamy, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
The ice cream can be served at this point and will have a texture similar to soft serve ice cream. For a firmer texture, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place it in the freezer for at least an hour. Let the ice cream soften about 10 minutes before serving.
Best Food Processor
You'll need a powerful food processor to make this dish. I use this Cuisinart 14-cup food processor.
- Use ripe, sweet bananas.
- Be sure to peel and cut the bananas into pieces before freezing them. It's really hard to peel the skin off frozen bananas! Also, cutting the bananas into pieces will make it easier on your food processor and yield a creamy consistency.
- Make sure the banana pieces are completely frozen before puréeing them.
- If your food processor is struggling, you can add a little milk, which will make it easier to blend.
Once you get the basic technique down, you can experiment with some different flavor combinations.
Here are a few ideas:
- Banana Peanut Butter- add 2 Tablespoons peanut butter to the ice cream and blend.
- Chunky Monkey- stir 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts into the ice cream.
- Banana Nutella- add ¼ cup Nutella to the ice cream and blend.
- Banana Berry- freeze 2 cups chopped strawberries with the bananas. Purée together in a food processor with ⅓ cup low fat milk.
My Latest Cookbook is Here!
Over 70 chef-created, doctor-approved recipes for delicious, healthy living. Take control of your health, starting in the kitchen!
More Frozen Desserts
One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream (Nice Cream)
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled
- Cut the bananas into 1-inch pieces. Put them on a plate in a single layer and freeze until solid, at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Place the frozen banana pieces in a food processor. Purée until creamy, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- The ice cream can be served at this point and will have a texture similar to soft serve ice cream. For a firmer texture, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place it in the freezer for at least an hour. Let the ice cream soften about 10 minutes before serving.