Here are some of my go-to healthy snack ideas for kids that you can pack in their lunchbox or make for them after school. They’re all nutritious, easy to prepare and satisfying.
Turkey Hummus Pinwheels
- One 9-inch whole wheat tortilla (I used Smart & Delicious 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas)
- 3 tablespoons hummus, any flavor
- 1 ounce sliced deli turkey breast
- ¼ cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks (can substitute bell peppers)
- Lay the tortilla out on a cutting board. Spread the hummus over the surface of the tortilla.
- Arrange the turkey slices on top of the hummus and sprinkle the spinach and carrot sticks on top.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll it up like a burrito.
- Use toothpicks to secure the filling in place and slice into 5 pieces. Remove toothpicks before serving.
- 4 whole grain pitas
- 1 cup jarred tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
- Assorted sliced or chopped vegetables or meat like bell peppers, mushrooms, corn, zucchini, spinach, chicken, etc.
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the pitas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread ¼ cup of tomato sauce on each pita, leaving border around the edges. Sprinkle ¼ cheese evenly on each pita. Add assorted vegetables of your liking to each pita. You can also use chopped chicken breast or cooked shrimp. Spray the pizzas lightly with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven until pitas are crispy, cheese is melted and vegetables are cooked, 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, cut and serve. Pizzas can also be cooked in a toaster oven.