No more boring tuna dishes! My Spaghetti with Tuna is an elegant dish that will make you look at albacore in a whole new way.
all excellent additions to your usual dinner dishes. In fact, the US Dietary Guidelines recommend
eating at least 8 ounces of a variety of seafood per week for those following a 2,000 calorie-per-day diet. Among other things, seafood is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits.
If you don’t have fresh seafood, no worries, you can turn to your pantry. Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water is the perfect ingredient to enhance your kitchen creations. When you open the can, you can immediately see the difference between the solid white albacore and chunk light tuna. It has a firm texture, light color and fresh taste.
Plus, it’s low in calories, low in saturated fat, and is packed with a variety of important nutrients. It’s an excellent source of high quality protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. One serving has only 60 calories but is packed with 13 grams of protein. In addition, all Bumble Bee® tuna are wild caught using sustainable fishing methods.
For many of us, when we were growing up, our main exposure to tuna usually came in the form of tuna fish sandwiches or perhaps tuna casserole. But I challenge you to look at tuna in a whole new way. Say no to boring tuna dishes! Try making solid white albacore the primary ingredient in your next meal. My Spaghetti with Tuna is a hearty, nutritious meal that’s packed with flavor. It’s elegant enough to serve at a dinner party but easy enough to make for a weeknight meal. Incorporating healthy, Mediterranean ingredients, this colorful dish has a simple sauce made with fresh cherry tomatoes, capers, white wine and aromatics like garlic and shallots. Chili flakes add a little heat. The sauce is tossed with whole grain spaghetti, fresh basil and hearty chunks of Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore. A final garnish of lemony breadcrumbs adds a pop of flavor as well as texture.
Check out the Bumble Bee website to learn more about Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna and get some delicious recipe ideas.
- 8 ounces whole grain spaghetti (I used a quinoa and brown rice blend)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 8 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes (about 1 ½ cups), halved
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can (12 oz) Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped plus extra leaves for garnish
- ½-1 cup pasta water
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shallots, garlic and chili flakes. Cook a few minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes and season them with ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cook until they start to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the capers and wine and turn up the heat. Cook a few minutes until the wine is reduced by half. Add the Bumble Bee® albacore, breaking it up into large chunks.
- Add the cooked pasta along with the basil and about ½ cup of the pasta water. Toss to combine all of the ingredients, adding more pasta water as needed to form a sauce that coats the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving platter. To make the breadcrumb topping, mix the breadcrumbs, basil, lemon zest and oil together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the pasta. Garnish with extra basil leaves.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.