Sometimes it can be hard to find vegetarian recipes that have a good amount of protein. Boca Essentials is a new line of vegetable- and grain-based patties that offers a “complete protein” to people looking for meatless meal options. Complete proteins are protein sources that contain all nine essential amino acids, which the body can not produce on its own. Animal proteins like meat and dairy products are typically complete proteins while vegetarian sources are often incomplete. These patties are a delicious and convenient protein-packed meat alternative to help fuel your day.
- Breakfast Scramble with potatoes, scrambled eggs and vegetables
- Chile Relleno with green chile peppers, black beans and brown rice
- Roasted Vegetables and Red Quinoa with brown rice
I was able to sample all of these products and found them to be tasty, convenient and versatile. Of course you can enjoy them the traditional way, on a bun with your favorite toppings piled on. But you can also use them in a wide variety of ways. They’re great in tacos, burritos, quesadillas and wraps. You can even chop them up and add them to your favorite vegetarian chili recipe. I decided to use the Chile Relleno patty and create a delicious protein-packed burrito bowl.
Burrito bowls are great because you can take all of your favorite burrito ingredients and pile them up in a bowl- no need for complicated tortilla rolling. I start with a bowl of nutritious brown rice, and top it with a Boca Essentials Chile Relleno patty, homemade corn salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and avocado. A drizzle of creamy avocado cilantro sauce is the finishing touch on this bold-flavored and protein-packed dish.
- 4 Chile Relleno Boca Essentials patties
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ½ cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- ½ ripe Haas avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ ripe Haas avocado
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook the Chile Relleno Boca Essentials patties according to package directions. Chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix all of the corn salsa ingredients together in a bowl.
- To make the avocado cilantro sauce, puree all of the ingredients in a mini food processor or blender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls. Top with equal portions of Boca patties, corn salsa, tomato, lettuce and avocado. Drizzle the avocado cilantro sauce on top. Enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.