Did you know that you can make the most delicious quesadillas in the the air fryer in a matter of minutes? These quick and easy Air Fryer Quesadillas are so easy to make and have only 4 ingredients! They're perfect for a quick weeknight meal, snack or appetizer- your family will love them.
I'm a big fan of air fryers. Although I was hesitant to get one at first (I have a lot of kitchen appliances), my air fryer has become one of my favorite kitchen tools. It's just so convenient! It heats up quickly, cooks food really fast, and is easy to clean.
Air frying is also a healthy cooking method. It gives your food the delicious crispy texture you crave but with minimal oil. I make lots of air fryer recipes- everything from Salmon Teriyaki to General Tso's Chicken to vegetables like Baked Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini, and Roasted Asparagus.
Did you know that you can also make delicious homemade quesadillas in the air fryer? These Air Fryer Quesadillas are one of my favorite fast dinners. Quesadillas are one of the easiest and tastiest things you can cook that will make everyone happy! And the great thing is that you can customize them with your own favorite ingredients.
- Why You'll Love Making Quesadillas In The Air Fryer
- How Does An Air Fryer Work?
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Variations and Substitutions
- What To Serve With Air Fryer Quesadillas
- How To Heat Up Frozen Quesadillas in The Air Fryer
- Chef's Tips
- Recipe FAQs
- More Air Fryer Recipes
Why You'll Love Making Quesadillas In The Air Fryer
I love these quesadillas because I can use up whatever leftover ingredients I have in my fridge. My family loves them because they're just so darn good. I mean, how can you go wrong with ooey, gooey melted cheese and other tasty fillings sandwiched between crispy tortillas?
This delicious air fryer quesadilla recipe is so easy to make! Quesadillas are classically made in a hot skillet with oil. But once you make them in the air fryer, you'll probably never go back.
The air fryer heats up and cooks the quesadillas so quickly. And it cooks them to crispy perfection every time. You get a nice golden tortilla with delicious, melty cheese on the inside. Plus, you don't have to worry about flipping the quesadillas in hot oil on the stove.
Once you try it, this may become one of your favorite recipes! These quesadillas are the perfect family-friendly dinner or snack. They're also a great appetizer to serve at parties. If you have any leftovers, you can pack them up for a tasty lunch the next day.
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer is basically a mini convection oven that sits on your countertop. Air fryers have a heating element at the top and a mechanical fan that helps circulate the hot air around your food more efficiently. This makes your food nice and crispy on the outside while keeping it moist and juicy on the inside.
Basically, air frying gives you the taste and texture of deep-fried food but with little to no oil. So although air fryers have a catchy name with the word "fryer" in them, there's no actual frying involved at all!
This is an easy recipe made with simple ingredients. Use this basic recipe and customize the filling with your own favorite ingredients. You can make delicious Air Fryer Cheese Quesadillas with just tortillas and shredded cheese. I like to add leftover chicken (rotisserie chicken works great here) to make Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas.
Here's what you'll need to make this dish:
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese- I typically use Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack or Cheddar Jack
- Shredded, cooked chicken breast (optional)- rotisserie chicken is perfect
- Salsa (optional)- mixing the chicken with salsa adds tons of flavor
You'll need an air fryer to make these air fryer quesadillas. There are many different brands on the market. I use this Ninja Air Fryer. It has a 5.5 quart capacity, which I think is good for a family of four.
This is such a simple recipe! Start by laying a tortilla on a flat surface like a cutting board. Sprinkle shredded cheese on half of the tortilla. Mix the chicken and salsa together in a bowl. Spoon some of the chicken mixture on top of the cheese. Then sprinkle some more cheese on top and fold the tortilla in half. Press down to flatten it slightly.
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F and spray the basket lightly with oil. Place two quesadillas in the air fryer basket and spray them lightly with oil. Cook for 4 minutes, then flip over and cook another 4 minutes until quesadillas are lightly crispy and golden brown and cheese melts.
As they cook, if the tortillas start to lift up from the filling, simply push down on top of the quesadilla with a spatula.
Remove quesadillas from the air fryer and cut each one into wedges. Serve with desired toppings.
Variations and Substitutions
The great thing about this recipe is that it's endlessly customizable! If you have little kids, you can set up a toppings station and let them make their own delicious air fryer quesadillas with their favorite ingredients.
You can make classic cheese quesadillas with just tortillas and cheese. Or you can add your favorite fillings. It's a great way to use up leftovers in your fridge!
- Tortillas- I use flour tortillas in this recipe but you can also use corn tortillas if you prefer. I use medium tortillas- two medium tortillas fit perfectly in my air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may want to use smaller tortillas (or just cook them in batches).
- Cheese- the best cheese to use is one that melts well. I like to use either Mexican blend, Cheddar Jack, Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack. You can buy pre-shredded cheese to save time or you can buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself. You can even stir in a little cream cheese for extra creaminess.
- Meat- I use leftover chicken breast in this recipe but I also make tasty quesadillas with slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken. You can also use ground beef, steak or pork instead. This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover taco meat.
- Vegetables- you can use leave out the meat completely and make cheese quesadillas. Or make vegetable quesadillas with baby spinach, sautéed mushrooms, corn, bell peppers, onions, or my perfect oven-roasted vegetables. My Sweet Potato, Kale and Black Bean Quesadillas are always a crowd-pleaser!
- Other- you can also use ingredients like refried beans, black beans, diced green chilies, taco seasoning or slices of avocado. I use avocado slices in my Ultimate Chicken Quesadillas.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Quesadillas
You can store quesadillas in a plastic wrap or an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. One of the best things about the air fryer is that it's great for heating up leftovers. You can heat up leftover quesadillas in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-5 minutes until they're warm and toasty. You can also reheat them in the microwave, in the oven or in a skillet on the stove.
These quesadillas can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
How To Heat Up Frozen Quesadillas in The Air Fryer
To reheat frozen quesadillas, preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Heat about 3 minutes until quesadillas are crispy and cheese is melted.
You can also cook store-bought frozen quesadillas, like El Monterey brand, in the air fryer. Cook them at 350°F for 12-18 minutes. Adjust the time and temperature as needed.
- Preheat the air fryer before putting your food in.
- Use oil (in the form of a spray or brush it on) rather than nonstick cooking spray to coat the air fryer basket. This will help prevent damage to the coating in the basket.
- I like to spray the quesadillas lightly with olive oil so that they get a nice golden color but this is optional.
- Arrange the quesadillas in a single layer in the air fryer so that they crisp up nicely. Don't overcrowd the basket.
- Flip the quesadillas halfway through cooking so that both sides cook evenly.
- As the quesadillas cook, the air from the fan may cause the tortillas to lift up from the filling during the first few minutes until the cheese melts. If that happens, simply push down on the top with a spatula. You can also keep them closed by securing them with a toothpick.
Yes! You can make them in a skillet on the stove. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the quesadillas for a couple of minutes on each side until crispy. You can cover the skillet with a lid during the last minute or two to melt the cheese.
You can put so many different ingredients in these quesadillas! See the "Variations and Substitutions" section above for some ideas. My kids' favorite combination is ground beef (with taco seasoning) and cheese. I like vegetarian quesadillas with spinach, mushrooms, and cheese.
Yes, you can freeze and reheat these quesadillas. You can also cook store-bought frozen quesadillas, like El Monterey brand, in the air fryer. Cook them at 350°F for 12-18 minutes. Check on them and adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed. Want to know how to adapt any recipe for your air fryer? Read my helpful Oven to Air Fryer Conversion Guide.
It takes about 8 minutes to cook these quesadillas in the air fryer. However, the final cooking time will depend on the model of your air fryer so be sure to check on them.
Any cheese that melts well will work. Some of my favorites to use are Mexican blend, Cheddar, Cheddar Jack, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, and Mozzarella.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Quesadillas
- 6 ounces (1 ½ cups) cooked, shredded chicken breast (can use rotisserie chicken) (optional)
- ¼ cup jarred salsa (optional)
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded cheese like Cheddar Jack or Mexican blend
- Olive oil spray
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Mix the chicken and salsa together in a bowl.
- Lay the tortillas out on a cutting board. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese on one half of each tortilla. Spoon some of the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle another 2 tablespoons of cheese on top. Fold the tortillas in half over the filling and press down to flatten slightly.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Spray the basket lightly with olive oil.
- Place two quesadillas in the air fryer basket next to each other and spray them lightly with olive oil. Cook for 4 minutes, then flip over and cook another 4 minutes until quesadillas are lightly crispy and golden brown and cheese is melted. As the quesadillas cook, if the tortillas lift up from the filling, push them down with a spatula.
- Remove quesadillas from the air fryer and cut each one into three pieces. Serve with desired toppings.