These breakfast burritos are perfect for busy weekday mornings- make a batch on the weekend and heat them up on your way out the door in the morning!
Most of us know that eating a nutritious breakfast is a good idea but let’s face it, how many of us have time to cook breakfast when we’re rushing out the door in the morning? I used to go all morning without consuming anything except a cup of coffee but over the years, I’ve changed my ways. Eating a nutritious breakfast not only jump-starts your metabolism in the morning, it also helps you concentrate better at work or school and cuts down on unhealthy snacking later in the day.
But mornings are fast, too fast. Between getting ready for your workday and preparing your kids for school, there isn’t much time to create flavorful, fulfilling breakfasts your family deserves. These delicious Ultimate Breakfast Burritos with Sweet Potato Hash are the perfect hearty breakfast dish that you can enjoy any day of the week. They are A-MAZ-ING if I do say so myself. They have some of my favorite ingredients in them- fluffy scrambled eggs, spicy sweet potato hash, avocado and cheddar cheese all rolled up in whole grain tortillas. Yum!
The star of these breakfast burritos is the sweet potato hash. To make it, I simply sauté diced sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and spices. It’s so tasty, you’ll have a hard time not eating it right out of the skillet! It’s also great the next day topped with a fried egg.
To pair with the sweet potato hash, I make basic scrambled eggs but to cut back on the saturated fat, I use a total 12 egg whites and only 6 yolks for 6 burritos. And finally, I like to add some rich, creamy smashed avocado to the burritos, which provides heart-healthy unsaturated fats.
Once you have all of your components ready, you pile them up on a whole wheat tortilla and top it off with some shredded cheddar cheese. After all, what’s a burrito without cheese, right? Then simply fold in the edges, roll it up and you’re good to go! This recipe makes 6 burritos so you’re pretty much set for the whole workweek. And the best part is that it will only take you about 30 seconds to heat up in the morning. That’s because you can make a whole batch of them on the weekend and then pop them in the microwave in the morning before you head out the door!
Ultimate Breakfast Burritos with Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet Potato Hash:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium sweet potato (8 oz) peeled and small diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- Pinch of salt
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: salsa for serving
- To make the sweet potato hash, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sweet potato and cook 5-6 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic and chili powder and cook a minute until fragrant. Season with a pinch of salt. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover the skillet. Cook until sweet potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the scrambled eggs, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk and salt together in a bowl. Heat another skillet over medium heat spray with cooking spray. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft curds form. Remove from heat.
- To make the smashed avocado, mash the avocado, lime juice, cilantro and salt together in a bowl.
- Spread each tortilla with spoonful of smashed avocado and top it with equal portions of the scrambled eggs. Top the eggs with some sweet potato hash and shredded cheese. Roll the tortillas up burrito style- fold the side closest to you over the filling, then fold both sides in towards the center and roll up. Enjoy the burritos with your favorite salsa, if desired.
- If not eating right away, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat, unwrap and microwave until warm, about 2 minutes, turning over halfway through. For a crispier tortillas, heat in the microwave, then bake in a 450° oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!