This hearty vegan dish is packed with colorful, seasonal ingredients and is the perfect addition to your holiday table.
Thank you to Beyond Meat for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
It’s hard to believe that the holidays are right around the corner, isn’t it? I feel like summer just ended and all of a sudden, I’m seeing holiday decorations at the stores and hearing Christmas songs on the radio! Although I love this time of year, sometimes it can get a little stressful with all of the holiday planning, cooking, shopping, etc. Last year I hosted a large party at my place for Thanksgiving and started planning a month in advance! This year, my parents have taken over hosting duties so I’m a lot more relaxed. I’m just bringing the turkey and a side dish- no sweat!
If you’re looking for a hearty side dish for your holiday table, try my Beyond Burger Holiday Farro Bowl. This colorful dish features farro, a nutritious whole grain with a nutty flavor and pleasant, chewy texture. I toss the farro with roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts, two of my favorite seasonal vegetables. And to give the dish more heft and a boost of protein, I also add in pieces of Beyond Burger.#AD This hearty vegan #BeyondBurger Holiday Farro Bowl is the perfect addition to your holiday table! @BeyondMeatClick To Tweet
If you’ve never tried it before, The Beyond Burger is a plant-based burger that looks and cooks just like beef but with the health and environmental benefits of plant-based protein. It has 20 grams of plant protein per burger and has less fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than a similar sized beef burger and more iron. Plus, the Beyond Burger is GMO-free, contains no soy or gluten and is 100% vegan. I wrote about it a few weeks ago in my Beyond Burger Jalapeño Poppers post. It’s the first plant-based burger that’s so similar to meat that it’s actually sold in the meat case at grocery stores like Whole Foods, Safeway, Kroger and Wegmans.
After cooking the burgers in a skillet, I cut them up into pieces and add them to the farro bowl. For an extra pop of color, flavor and texture, I also like to throw in some dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts, which are packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Finally, I make a simple dressing with cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard and olive oil and toss everything together. It’s an explosion of sweet and savory flavors and textures. Plus it’s really good for you too! You can serve the dish in a large platter if you’re feeding a crowd like at the holidays. Or if you prefer, you can arrange the ingredients in individual bowls for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
To learn more about their products, check out the Beyond Meat website.
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW EASY THE RECIPE IS!
This hearty vegetarian dish is packed with colorful, seasonal ingredients and is the perfect addition to your holiday table.
- 1 cup farro rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes about 2 large, peeled and diced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1 package (8 oz) Beyond Burgers- Find it in your local meat case! (full store list here)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place the farro and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until done, about 30 minutes. Drain off any excess broth.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ½ tablespoon thyme. Spread them out on a baking sheet. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ½ tablespoon thyme. Spread them out on a second baking sheet. Roast the vegetables in the oven 25-30 minutes until cooked, tossing them halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add the Beyond Burgers and cook, 3 minutes on each side, until done. Remove from skillet and cool. Cut the burgers into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and olive oil together in a small bowl. Season the dressing with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked farro in a large bowl and add the roasted vegetables, Beyond Burger, dried cranberries and walnuts. Add the dressing and toss to combine all ingredients. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Alternatively, you can serve the dish in individual bowls.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!