past several years, we’ve traveled to Mexico. What’s not to love about Mexico? Beautiful beaches, friendly people, and of course, amazing food! It was on one of these trips several years ago that I first discovered chilaquiles.
Then, simply layer the chips with your favorite salsa and plenty of ooey, gooey cheese. You can bake the chilaquiles in a casserole dish or for a more rustic look, you can use a cast iron skillet. I like to top my chilaquiles off with some sunny side up eggs and a final garnish of cilantro and avocado slices. As you cut into the egg, the runny yolk will bathe the chips in a rich, delicious sauce- yum!
More Tasty Breakfast and Brunch Dishes
- Ultimate Breakfast Burritos with Sweet Potato Hash
- Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon Dutch Baby
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- Mixed Berry Chia Pudding
- Summer Zucchini and Corn Frittata
- Blueberry Apple & Walnut Baked Oatmeal
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Olive oil spray
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Optional for serving: avocado slices and Mexican crema or Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray the tortillas lightly with olive oil. Cut them into tortilla chip-sized pieces. Place them on one of two baking sheets in a single layer and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt. Bake in the oven until crispy, 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Arrange half of the tortilla chips in a cast iron skillet or baking dish. Spread ½ cup salsa evenly over the chips and sprinkle ½ cup cheese on top. Arrange the remaining chips on top and top with the remaining salsa and cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese is bubbling and melted. Remove from oven.
- While the chilaquiles are baking, fry the eggs. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and spray with olive oil. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook a few minutes until whites are cooked through and yolks are still runny.
- Serve the chilaquiles with a fried egg on top and garnish with cilantro. Serve with avocado slices and Mexican crema or Greek yogurt, if desired.