Oats, walnuts, blueberries, and apples are baked together in this hearty breakfast dish that’s so good it almost tastes like dessert!
I received free samples of California walnuts mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Walnut Commission and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
of them up and mix them in with the oats. Then I sprinkle more nuts on top to give the dish a nice, crunchy crust. To complement the walnuts, I also add antioxidant-packed blueberries to the mix- after all, it is berry season! And finally, I stir in some diced apple, which adds fiber and vitamin C, and plenty of aromatic cinnamon.
Oats, walnuts, blueberries, and apples are baked together in this hearty breakfast dish that's so good it almost tastes like dessert!
- 1 cup California walnuts, divided use
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon plus extra for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk, any type (I used 2%)
- ½ cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups blueberries, divided use
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped, peeled apple, divided use
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Finely chop ½ cup walnuts and place them in a bowl along with the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk the milk, yogurt, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla together in another bowl.
- Arrange 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup chopped apple in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Scatter the oat mixture evenly on top. Pour in the milk mixture and press to submerge all of the dry ingredients in the liquid. Roughly chop the remaining ½ cup walnuts and scatter them on top along with the remaining ½ cup blueberries and ½ cup apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden and the oats are set. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve as is or topped with milk, Greek yogurt or maple syrup.