My Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a lightened up remake of a classic dish and is the perfect addition to your game day menu.
With Super Bowl Sunday around the corner, you may be starting to plan your game day menu. Few foods are as commonly associated with this occasion as buffalo wings. Buffalo chicken dip is a popular variant of this classic dish and incorporates all of the flavors of buffalo wings into a warm, creamy dip that goes perfectly with fresh veggies and chips.
Traditional buffalo chicken dip is very high in calories and fat from a mixture of cream cheese, bottled Ranch or Blue cheese dressing and loads of shredded cheese. I decided to perform a recipe resuscitation on this crowd-pleasing dish to shave some calories and fat without sacrificing flavor. Here’s how I made my Lightened Up Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Swap in Neufchatel cheese instead of traditional cream cheese. It has less calories and ⅓ less fat than regular cream cheese but still has great flavor and a nice creamy texture. It melts very well and is a good healthy option for dishes such as hot dips and creamy pasta sauces.
- Nonfat Greek yogurt instead of bottled Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing. Greek yogurt adds a great tangy flavor that complements the spicy hot sauce but with none of the fat and only a fraction of the sodium of bottled dressings. Plus, Greek yogurt is naturally thick and creamy (even the nonfat variety), packed with protein and low in carbohydrates. Read my post about the nutritional benefits of Greek yogurt.
- Dried spices to add flavor. Because I don’t use a prepared salad dressing, I up the flavor by stirring in dried spices like garlic powder and onion powder. This also cuts down on sodium. Remember to use garlic and onion powder, not garlic or onion salt.
- No shredded cheese in the dip. Many buffalo chicken dip recipes stir a lot of shredded cheese into the dip. I found the texture of the dip from the Neuchatel cheese and yogurt to be rich and creamy enough that it didn’t need any extra cheese. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese or crumbled blue cheese on top instead
So try this quick and easy Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip on Super Bowl Sunday or for your next party. You can even prepare the whole thing in advance and simply heat it up when your guests arrive. It's definitely a crowd pleaser and your guests will love it even more when you tell them that it's healthy!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 package (8 ounces) Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese), softened
- 1 5.3 oz container (about ½ cup) Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce) (add more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) shredded, cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled blue cheese, sliced scallions, hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the softened cheese, yogurt, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and scallions.
- Transfer the dip to an 8x8-inch square baking dish, oval baking dish or round pie pan. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and dip is bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with crumbled blue cheese, scallions, and hot sauce, if desired. Serve with crackers, chip, celery and/or carrot sticks.