My 15 Minute Blueberry Chia Jam is so easy to make! It uses the natural gelling properties of chia seeds, which are packed with nutrients.
Thank you to the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council for sponsoring this post! As always, all blueberry-loving opinions are 100% my own.
Now that summer is coming to an end, one of the things that I love to do this time of year is make homemade jam. It’s a great way to preserve the sweet flavor of my favorite summer berries. And it’s actually really simple to do at home!
Traditionally, making homemade jam takes a lot of time and equipment. In order to get jam to thicken properly you need to add a thickening agent like pectin along with a large amount of sugar.
My 15 Minute Blueberry Chia Jam, however, only takes about 15 minutes to make! This healthy homemade blueberry jam uses the natural gelling properties of chia seeds, which are packed with nutrients.
I love using blueberries in this delicious jam. Why? Blueberries are not just packed with flavor, they’re also packed with healthful goodness! One serving (one cup) is a good source of fiber and vitamin C and has only 80 calories.
Chia seeds are another superfood. They may be tiny, but they pack a nutritional punch! They're rich in nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants.
Fiber aids in digestion, keeps you regular and helps keep you feeling full. Plus, diets rich in foods containing fiber, such as some vegetables and fruits, may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Blueberries- you can use fresh or frozen blueberries; you can also substitute other berries
- Chia seeds- can be find them in the grocery store or buy them online
- Orange juice- can substitute lemon juice
- Maple syrup- for an extra touch of sweetness; can adjust the amount to taste
How To Make Blueberry Chia Jam
To make this easy blueberry chia seed jam, simply stir blueberries, orange juice, chia seeds and a sweetener of your choice together in a saucepan. Then, let it simmer away on the stove for several minutes until the berries break down.
Because the chia seeds act as a thickening agent for this quick and easy jam, you can use much less sugar than traditional jam.
As it cools, the blueberry chia jam will continue to thicken. Then you can store it in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator to enjoy for a couple of weeks.
How To Enjoy This Jam
This healthy homemade blueberry chia jam is perfect for back-to-school season because you can use it in so many different ways. I love to swirl it into a bowl of Greek yogurt or oatmeal for a delicious and hearty breakfast.
It also makes a great alternative to store bought jelly on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I’ll be packing plenty of these in my daughter Sienna's lunchbox over the next couple of weeks!
For a sweet after dinner treat, you can even spoon some of this tasty blueberry chia jam on top of your favorite ice cream. The possibilities are endless!
More Chia Seed Recipes
WANT MORE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Sign up for my email list and I'll send you my FREE Superfood Recipes eBook along with weekly recipes!
15 Minute Blueberry Chia Jam
- 1 pound fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, agave or sweetener of your choice
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Heat the blueberries and orange juice together in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 7-8 minutes until the berries start to soften and break down. Mash the berries with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Stir in the maple syrup and chia seeds and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool. As it cools, the jam will thicken. Store jam in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.