Preparing these delicious Berry Chia Pudding Parfaits in batches will help ensure that you have a nutritious breakfast any day of the week.
We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Having a well balanced, nutritious breakfast jump-starts your metabolism, gives you energy to get through the morning, helps you focus, and prevents unhealthy snacking. Sounds great, right? But you’re probably thinking, who has time to eat a healthy breakfast everyday? I’m going to tell you what my secret is… it’s called batch cooking.
Batch cooking is when you prepare food ahead of time in large batches. Then during the week when you’re busy, you can put your meals together really quickly because you’ve done most of the cooking in advance. I don’t just do this for breakfast- I do a lot of batch cooking for dinner as well. It doesn’t only save time, it saves money as well. Preparing food in advance means that you’re spending less money on dining out. Plus, it gives you more time to spend with your family during the week.
These Berry Chia Pudding Parfaits are the perfect make-ahead breakfast dish. I make the chia pudding by mixing Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr, milk and chia seeds. The combination is high in protein (each parfait packs a whopping 21 grams of protein) and keeps me feeling full throughout the morning.
Chia seeds are nutritional powerhouses packed with omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants. When you soak them in liquid, they plump up overnight, thickening the yogurt and milk mixture into a delicious pudding. You can make a big batch of the chia pudding on the weekend and leave it in the fridge. Then in the morning, you can layer the chia pudding with your favorite ingredients. I layer mine with pureed berries, granola and fresh berries.
I love all of the different colors, flavors and textures in this layered parfait. If I’m taking mine to go, I like to assemble it in a mason jar so that I can just put a lid on it and take it with me. It’s also a great after-school snack for my daughter. Here’s how I make them!
Berry Chia Pudding Parfaits
- 2 (5.3 oz) containers mixed berry or vanilla nonfat or 2% Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr
- 1 cup milk, any type
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups assorted fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- ¼ cup granola
- Whisk the yogurt (or skyr), milk and chia seeds together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight until it forms into a pudding.
- When ready to assemble the parfaits, place about 1 cup of the berries in a bowl and mash them with a fork (or puree them in a mini food processor).
- To assemble the parfaits, place a layer of chia pudding in the bottom of a glass or mason jar and top it with a layer of berry puree and 1 tablespoon of granola. Repeat the layers. Top the parfaits with fresh berries.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!
Are you looking for some more batch cooking breakfast ideas? Here are some recipes from the blog to get you started: