Cool down this summer with my refreshing Blueberry Mint Limeade.
Thank you to the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council for sponsoring this post! As always, all blueberry-loving opinions are 100% my own.
Now that we're in the middle of summer, it's usually in the 90s and incredibly humid down here in South Florida. Which means that I'm always looking for a thirst-quenching beverage to cool down with! And although a nice tall glass of ice water is usually my drink of choice, I also love fun summer drinks. Enter my Blueberry Mint Limeade.
A little bit sweet and a little bit tart, my Blueberry Mint Limeade is like a cross between lemonade and a mojito. Fresh lime juice, vibrant blueberries, and aromatic mint come together in this colorful, refreshing drink. It's perfect for your next backyard barbecue and can even be kicked up a notch with a splash of rum or vodka for an adult version!
I created this dish because my daughter loves homemade lemonade but I was trying to come up with something new. So I decided to use limes instead of lemons. And since I always have a carton of blueberries in my fridge, I figured they would be the perfect addition to my drink. After all blueberries are delicious! They’re perfect for adding a pop of flavor or color to your dishes. And they require no prep work so they can easily be tossed into any meal, snack or drink. Or just grab some on the go- rich in vitamin C and a good source of fiber with only 80 calories per handful, it’s a choice you can feel good about!
To make the limeade, I simmer the blueberries in water until they start to break down and release their juices. I also toss in some fresh mint leaves to infuse the drink with even more flavor. Mint and limes are a classic combination found in mojitos, another one of my favorite summer drinks.
Then I stir in some honey, fresh lime juice, and water. Just look at the lovely color that the blueberries add to the drink. Who wouldn’t want to drink that?
Although you’ll be tempted to drink it right away, for the best results, pour the limeade into a pitcher and let it cool in the fridge for a little while. Then when you're ready to dive in, make sure to fill your glasses with a lots of ice and toss in some fresh blueberries. If you like your drinks with a little sparkle, you can also stir in some sparkling water. For a final touch, I like to garnish the limeade with lime slices and mint leaves.
Sweet and tart with a hint of fresh mint in the background- it's the perfect summer drink!
Blueberry Mint Limeade
- 6 cups water, divided use
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2-3 sprigs fresh mint
- 3-4 tablespoons honey or other sweetener (amount will vary depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- Garnishes: blueberries, lime slices, and mint leaves
- Place 1 cup water, the blueberries, and mint in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the blueberries start to break down and release their juices, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the honey. Let cool.
- Pour the blueberry syrup into a large pitcher and stir in the lime juice and remaining 5 cups of water. Refrigerate.
- To serve, fill glasses with ice and add some blueberries to the glasses. Pour the blueberry limeade into the glasses and garnish with lime slices and mint leaves.