There's a reason why this Giant Peanut Butter Cup Rice Cake recipe is going viral on TikTok! Made with just a handful of ingredients, this healthier version of a chocolate peanut butter cup is an easy snack that will satisfy any chocolate craving. And it can be made in 20 minutes!
TikTok is great for keeping up with the latest food trends. Who can forget the Baked Feta Pasta or Dalgona whipped coffee that took over the internet? I also love it when restaurants use the platform to share their highly coveted recipes like when Chipotle shared their corn salsa recipe.
I can definitely see why this Giant Peanut Butter Cup Rice Cake is all over TikTok. A quick and easy recipe with layers of creamy, crunchy, chocolaty goodness... this one is going to become a regular in our house!
Why You'll Love This Dish
- Quick and easy- made with just a handful of ingredients
- Made with whole, nutritious ingredients
- Will satisfy any chocolate craving- great as a snack or dessert
- Both kids and adults will love it
- Endlessly customizable
Now you can satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious rice cake layered with peanut butter and chocolate. After all, peanut butter and chocolate are a classic duo and some things just shouldn't be messed with!
This recipe is kind of like a healthier version of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. So skip the processed candy bars and make this instead! With just a few simple ingredients, you can satisfy your sweet tooth fast.
While rice cakes may have a reputation as being bland and a little boring, the combination of creamy peanut butter, rich chocolate and a pinch of sea salt takes them to the next level.
This recipe is a nice healthy snack for kids and adults. It's also endlessly customizable. You can mix up the type of spread, the type of chocolate, even the toppings, to suit your dietary needs and taste.
- Did you know that dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants called flavanols? These antioxidants help protect your cells against damage from free radicals.
- Flavanols also help relax blood vessels and lower your blood pressure.
- Studies show that they can also increase insulin sensitivity, which could lower your risk of diabetes in the long run.
- Not all chocolate is the same though. Dark chocolate contains up to 2-3 times more flavanols than milk chocolate!
Ingredients for Giant Peanut Butter Cup Rice Cake
- Rice cakes- I use plain whole grain rice cakes rather than flavored varieties like chocolate or caramel, which have added sugars. You could also use mini rice cakes to make bite-sized versions of this dish.
- Peanut butter- I like to use a natural peanut butter, which just contains peanuts and salt (no hydrogenated vegetable oils, sugar, etc). You can use other nuts butters like almond butter, cashew butter or pistachio butter. If you have a nut allergy, you can use sunflower butter or tahini.
- Chocolate- I use a good quality dark chocolate, 60% or 72% cacao, like Ghiradelli.
- Coconut oil (optional)- completely optional but if you have it, coconut oil gives the chocolate a nice shiny luster.
- Sea salt (optional)- I love using flaky Maldon sea salt flakes . Salt is optional but I love the combination of sweet and salty. You can also substitute other toppings like shredded coconut, chopped nuts or dried fruit.
Scroll all the way down to see the recipe card for full recipe details.
- Step 1- Spread peanut butter onto the rice cake covering the whole surface. I like to use my offset spatula but you can use a spoon.
- Step 2- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil (if using). You easiest way to melt the chocolate is in the microwave. You can also melt it in a double boiler.
- Step 3- Spread the melted chocolate over the peanut butter.
- Step 4- Sprinkle on some flaky sea salt or other desired toppings (optional). Place in the freezer 10-15 minutes until chocolate is firm. Devour!
- Use plain whole grain rice cakes rather than flavored varieties like chocolate or caramel, which have added sugars. The peanut butter and chocolate add enough sweetness to this dish.
- I like to add a little coconut oil to the chocolate when I melt it. It's not necessary but it gives the chocolate a nice shiny luster when it solidifies. It also helps the chocolate harden. Interesting fact- coconut oil is the secret ingredient in Magic Shell, the chocolate product from the 80s that hardens when it comes into contact with freezing cold ice cream.
- Freeze the peanut butter cup rice cakes for at least 20 minutes if you want the chocolate completely frozen and crispy. I remove them from the freezer after 10-15 minutes because I like the chocolate solid but a little soft, like a traditional peanut butter cup.
- This recipe is for 1 serving but I typically make a batch of 4 to 8 of these and store them in the fridge in an airtight container.
Yes, this dish is full of nutrient-dense ingredients like whole grain rice cakes, peanut butter, and dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is rich in a type of plant nutrient called flavonoids. These flavonoids have strong antioxidant properties. They also have beneficial effects on cardiovascular health such as lowering your blood pressure. The darker the chocolate, the greater the amount of amount of healthy flavanols. Check out my Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti post to learn more about the health benefits of chocolate.
If using a chocolate bar, chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place the chocolate and coconut oil (if using), in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
My Latest Cookbook is Here!
Over 70 chef-created, doctor-approved recipes for delicious, healthy living. Take control of your health, starting in the kitchen!
More Tasty Snack Recipes
Giant Peanut Butter Cup Rice Cake
- 1-2 tablespoons (½ ounce- 1 ounce) dark chocolate I use 60% or 72% cacao
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 plain whole grain rice cake
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil (if using), in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spread peanut butter on a rice cake, covering the whole surface. Pour the melted chocolate on top and spread it out with a spoon to cover the peanut butter. Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Place in freezer for 10-20 minutes until firm. Enjoy!