My Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale is a delicious and hearty pasta dish that the whole family will love! I toss ear-shaped pasta with nutrient-packed kale and savory turkey sausage, and top it all off with toasted, lemony breadcrumbs. Fast, flavorful, and satisfying- it's the perfect weeknight meal.
There are a few dishes that I turn to when I want a quick, comforting, and reliable meal. My Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale is one of those dishes. I created it many years ago and it never disappoints.
This pasta with sausage and kale is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. The savory turkey sausage and lemony kale pair perfectly with the hearty pasta and nutty pecorino cheese. It all makes for one delicious and satisfying dish!
Not only is this recipe delicious, it's also a great way to incorporate more leafy greens into your diet.
This healthy and satisfying orecchiette pasta with sausage and kale is a meal that is sure to become a family favorite. Hearty pasta tossed with fresh kale and savory turkey sausage, all topped off with crunchy, lemony breadcrumbs. How can you go wrong?
Why You'll Love This Dish
- Packed with flavor, color, and texture
- Easy to make- a simple skillet meal
- Healthy- full of nutritious ingredients
- Family-friendly- kids and adults will love this dish
Kale is a true superfood! It's packed with nutrients and is a great source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as fiber and antioxidants. I stir it into pasta dishes, add it to quesadillas, and enjoy it in salads.
I like to use Tuscan kale, also known as Lacinato or Dinosaur kale, in this dish. It's more delicate and less bitter than traditional curly kale.
What is Orecchiette?
If I had to choose a favorite pasta shape, I think I would have to go with orecchiette. Orecchiette is a type of pasta from southern Italy that means “little ears” because of its unique shape.
It has a curved contour with a thinner center and slightly thicker outer edge, giving it a pleasant chewy texture. That curved shape allows the pasta to hold onto sauces and other ingredients, making it a popular choice for dishes with thick or chunky sauces. It's just perfect for catching little pieces of delicious sausage and kale in this dish!
How To Make Orecchiette Pasta With Sausage and Kale
- Step 1 - Cook turkey sausage in a skillet with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Step 2- Add the kale and chicken broth and cook until kale is wilted. Season the mixture with lemon juice.
- Step 3- Stir in the cooked orecchiette pasta and grated pecorino cheese and toss to combine.
- Step 4- Stir in some of the pasta water until the pasta is coated. Serve pasta as is or top with gremolata breadcrumbs for an extra crunch.
Gremolata is a traditional Italian condiment made with lemon zest, garlic and parsley and is typically served on top of meat dishes. I add toasted breadcrumbs to this delightful mixture. The result is a crunchy, lemony topping that adds a punch of flavor and texture to the finished sausage and kale pasta.
- I like to use Tuscan kale, also known as Lacinato or Dinosaur kale, in this dish. It's more delicate and less bitter than traditional curly kale. If you use curly kale, you'll have to cook it a few minutes longer.
- Be sure to reserve some of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. You will use the pasta water to create a sauce that coats the orecchiette.
- Orecchiette is available in most grocery stores in the pasta section. If you can't find it, you can substitute other small pasta shapes like shells.
So the next time you’re looking for a delicious pasta dish to add to your dinner rotation, try this simple and delicious orecchiette pasta with sausage and kale. Your family will love it!
Want to learn more about why kale is a superfood? Read my post all about the health benefits of kale.
More Tasty Recipes
WANT MORE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Sign up for my email list and I'll send you my FREE Superfood Recipes eBook along with weekly recipes!
Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale
- 8 ounces orecchiette pasta (or other small pasta shape)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 8 ounces), chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Gremolata Breadcrumbs (Optional):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs* (or panko breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Bring a large pot filled with salted water to boil over high heat. Add the orecchiette and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving approximately 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the turkey sausage and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the kale and toss to coat with the oil. Sauté 1-2 minutes, then add the chicken broth and cover the pan. Cook until the kale is wilted, a few minutes. Add the lemon juice and season the kale with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the orecchiette and pecorino cheese to the pan and toss to combine all ingredients well. Stir in some of the reserved pasta water, a small amount at a time, until the pasta is coated. Serve the pasta as is or top with gremolata breadcrumbs, if desired.
- To make the gremolata breadcrumbs, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Toast until breadcrumbs are golden brown, then remove from heat and toss with the lemon zest, parsley, and salt.