This hearty pasta dish featuring colorful fall vegetables is packed with flavor and nutrition!
This post was sponsored by Dreamfields Pasta as part of their #HealthyPastaMonth celebration. All opinions expressed are my own.
Did you know that October is National Pasta Month? In my opinion there are few things better than a hearty bowl of pasta. Especially when the weather changes and we start to feel a little chill in the air, there’s just something so comforting about a piping hot bowl of pasta.
My Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale is a celebration of fall flavors. Packed with colorful, nutritious ingredients, this rustic pasta dish is sure to please the whole family.
First, I tossed diced butternut squash with olive oil and fresh thyme to infuse it with flavor and popped it in the oven.
Roasting the squash at a high temperature gives it a lovely golden brown crust and intensifies its flavor- yum!
Then I tossed the roasted squash with Dreamfields Penne Rigate and fresh Tusan kale that I sautéed with some garlic and pancetta. A little pasta water and some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese help create a delicious sauce that coats the pasta. A final flourish of toasted pine nuts adds a nice crunch.
I like Dreamfields pasta because it’s an easy way to eat a little better. Made with premium durum wheat semolina, it has the same taste and texture as traditional pasta. But each cup of cooked Dreamfields pasta boasts 5 grams of fiber (20% of the daily recommended intake) and 7 grams of plant protein!Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale- this hearty pasta dish is packed with flavor and nutrition!Click To Tweet
To celebrate National Pasta Month- or as Dreamfields likes to call it, #HealthyPastaMonth, Dreamfields is featuring 31 days of recipes, prizes and other surprises, so head over to their site now to check it out! There will be random giveaways throughout the week so be sure to check back every day to see if you won!
Now for the fun part… Dreamfields wants to give one lucky reader an entire case of their healthy pasta! Click on the Dreamfields link to check out all of the delicious recipes for #HealthyPastaMonth. Then head back here and leave a comment- let me know one of your favorite dishes! Also increase your chances of winning by completing the other ways to enter. Giveaway will end on November 2, 2016 so enter now!
- 1 box Dreamfields Penne Rigate
- 5 cups (24 ounces) diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided use
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch (8 ounces) Tuscan kale, chopped
- ½ cup (1.5 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid before draining; set aside.
- Toss together the squash, thyme 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread squash out in single layer. Roast in oven 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is golden brown and tender. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until crispy, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper flakes and garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add kale; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the 1/2 cup grated cheese to skillet; stir to combine. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce thickens, adding additional cooking liquid if needed for consistency. Remove from heat. Add pasta; toss to coat. Gently stir in roasted butternut squash. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and thyme, if desired.
Click Below to Pin!