Make a large batch of this delicious Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken on the weekend and enjoy it in a variety of dishes throughout the week!
In an informal poll that I recently took on Facebook, I asked what kinds of recipes people wanted me to post. The most popular response was slow cooker dishes. It's not surprising considering how convenient slow cooker recipes are. And now that I have a toddler, I appreciate these recipes even more! With most slow cooker recipes, there's minimum prep- you can simply toss all of the ingredients into the bowl of the slow cooker and turn it on in the morning. When you get home in the evening, dinner is ready to serve.
These Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are so easy to make! Simply throw all of the ingredients into a slow cooker and let it simmer away. When it's done, you'll end up with a pot of tender chicken coated in a delicious homemade barbecue sauce which has a little heat, a little sweetness, and tons of flavor! I like to pile the chicken high on whole wheat buns and top it with plenty of sauce and a simple homemade coleslaw. Just be sure to serve these sandwiches with extra napkins on the side!
Besides sandwiches, this pulled chicken can be used in soups, salads, omelets, burritos, pasta dishes, casseroles, you name it! It also freezes well so it's great to have on hand when you need to make a quick meal on short notice. In my next post I will feature this delicious chicken in my Pulled Chicken Quesadillas.
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns (can use gluten-free buns)
- Optional toppings: Summer Coleslaw (see recipe in "Notes" section below), pickles or other toppings
- Place all of the ingredients except the chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the chicken and turn to coat the pieces with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or low heat for 6-7 hours. Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and stir in enough sauce to coat all of the meat well. Save remaining sauce to serve on the side.
- To make sandwiches, serve the pulled chicken on whole grain rolls and top with desired toppings like Summer Coleslaw (see recipe in "Notes" section) or pickles.