In an informal poll that I recently took on Facebook, I asked what kinds of recipes people wanted me to post. The most popular response was slow cooker dishes. It’s not surprising considering how convenient slow cooker recipes are. And now that I have a toddler, I appreciate these recipes even more! With most slow cooker recipes, there’s minimum prep- you can simply toss all of the ingredients into the bowl of the slow cooker and turn it on in the morning. When you get home in the evening, dinner is ready to serve.
This Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwich recipe is also part of my Cook Once, Eat Twice series where I show you how to make a large batch recipe and use the leftovers in a variety of other dishes. Besides sandwiches, pulled chicken can be used in soups, salads, omelets, burritos, pasta dishes, casseroles, you name it. It also freezes well so it’s great to have on hand when you need to make a quick meal on short notice. In my next post I will feature this delicious chicken in my Pulled Chicken Quesadillas.
Make a large batch of this delicious slow cooker chicken and use it in a variety of dishes throughout the week!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- Optional: whole wheat rolls and Summer Coleslaw (see recipe below)
- Place all of the ingredients except the chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the chicken and turn to coat the pieces with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and stir in enough sauce to coat all of the meat well (I ended up with about 2 ½ cups sauce and used about 1 ¾ cup to toss with the chicken). Save remaining sauce to serve on the side.
- Serve pulled chicken on whole wheat rolls with Summer Coleslaw (see recipe below) or other desired toppings.
This refreshing slaw is the perfect accompaniment to my Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches!
- 1 bag (1 lb.) tricolor coleslaw mix (red and green cabbage and carrots)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Season the coleslaw with a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve with Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.