My Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect weeknight dinner. I make sweet potato bowls and top them with sweet and tangy BBQ chicken. It's a nutritious and delicious meal that your family will love!
As a busy mom, I’m always looking for easy, healthy meals for my family. These Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes definitely fit the bill!
I stuff nutritious sweet potatoes with shredded chicken that I toss in a sweet and tangy homemade barbecue sauce. And to make things really easy, I use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Sweet potato bowls
I love making sweet potato bowls. I start by roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven until tender. You can also cook them in an air fryer- they turn out great. Check out my Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes.
After they cool down, I cut them open and mash the flesh with a fork to soften it.
Packed with nutrients, flavor and color, sweet potatoes are the perfect edible bowl!
Easy BBQ chicken
For my barbecue chicken, I take a shortcut and use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I shred the chicken and then toss it with my quick and easy barbecue sauce.
You can make the barbecue sauce on the stove while the sweet potatoes are in the oven. The tangy BBQ chicken works perfectly with the sweet potatoes.
To top it all off, I sprinkle on some crushed French's fried onions and sliced scallions for color and crunch. Yum!
More tasty sweet potato recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Curried Coconut Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Coins with Chipotle Crema
- Sweet Potato and Kale Quesadillas
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Did you try this recipe? If so, please leave a review below. I love hearing from you! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes washed
- 4 cups shredded, cooked chicken (can use rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup French's fried onions
- 2 scallions sliced
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a knife. Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the barbecue sauce. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Set aside a small amount of sauce to drizzle on top. Add the chicken to the remaining sauce and toss to coat.
- Cut a slit lengthwise down the sweet potatoes and spread them open. Mash the flesh with a fork to soften it and spoon the barbecue chicken on top. Crush the fried onions and sprinkle them on top of the chicken. Garnish with sliced scallions. Drizzle extra barbecue sauce on top.