Fire up the grill for these tasty burgers! My Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Crema are leaner than traditional burgers but packed with flavor. Your family will love them!
My Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Crema are leaner than traditional burgers but packed with flavor.
Most restaurants use ground beef with a higher fat content (typically around 20% fat) to guarantee juicy burgers. I use lean ground beef (7% fat) to cut down on fat.
Because they’re so lean, I like to infuse my burgers with other flavorful ingredients like onion, garlic and smoky chipotles in adobo. The onion also adds moisture to the patties and keeps them juicy. I use a box grater or microplane zester to grate the onion and garlic so that they get distributed evenly throughout the meat.
To complement the spicy patties, I top my burgers with a cooling avocado crema. Mexican crema is similar to sour cream but instead of sour cream, I use Greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt has a creamy texture and tangy flavor that pairs nicely with the avocado. The healthy unsaturated fats found in avocado are a good replacement for the saturated fat found in condiments like mayonnaise.
Tips for making perfect burgers
- Be careful not to overwork the meat when making the patties otherwise the burgers will be tough.
- Make an indentation in the center of the patties so that they cook evenly. Otherwise the burgers will puff up in the middle.
- Heat your grill to medium high and brush the grill rack with oil to prevent sticking. You want relatively high heat to get a good sear on the burgers and lock in the juices.
- Once the burgers are on the grill, don’t touch them until you’re ready to flip them! Definitely don’t press down on them otherwise all of the juices will run out.
- Cook burgers about 4-5 minutes on each side and add the cheese during the last minute or two so that it melts.
- Toast the buns lightly on the grill for a minute or two before serving. Who wants to eat a hot burger on a cold bun?
More tasty burgers and sandwiches
- Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce
- Black Bean & Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- New England Lobster Rolls
- Grilled Cheese with Avocado Pesto
- Curried Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Perfect Air Fryer Asparagus
- Grilled Stuffed Avocados
- Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Crema
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo + 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Haas avocado
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Oil for brushing the grill rack
- 2 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese (like Cabot brand), shredded
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Mix the ground beef, onion, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together. Be careful not to overwork the meat. Form into patties, making an indentation in the center of each burger so that they will cook evenly.
- Mix all of the avocado crema ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Brush the grill rack with oil. Place the burger patties on the rack and cook 4-5 minutes on each side for medium. Place the cheese on the patties during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly during the last minute of grilling.
- To assemble the burgers, place a cheese-topped patty on each bun bottom and top with a slice of tomato and ¼ of the avocado crema. Add bun tops and serve.
discount vouchers says
It looks great. Thank you for sharing
I love the avocado crème recipe and the corn, appears simple.