Get your grill ready! My Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce are a great way to incorporate nutritious seafood into your family's diet.
Are you looking for more ways to incorporate seafood into your family’s meals? If so, try my Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce. They’re easy to make, full of flavor, and you can just throw them on the grill. They’re perfect for summer!
One of my tips on how to get kids to eat more nutritious foods is to incorporate them into dishes that they’re familiar with. These burgers are the perfect way to introduce fish to your children. After all, who doesn’t love burgers?
Health benefits of salmon
Salmon is packed with an abundance of vitamins, minerals, and protein. It is also one of the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have incredible health benefits. Read my post all about the incredible health benefits of salmon.
How to make salmon burgers
I make the burger patties by pulsing some of the salmon in a food processor until smooth. Then I stir in some diced pieces of salmon for texture.
Finally I add in scallions, breadcrumbs and plenty of seasonings to infuse the patties with flavor. I like to use panko breadcrumbs because they're airier than traditional dried breadcrumbs so they give the patties a lighter texture.
Chef's Tips for Salmon Burgers
I like to refrigerate the patties for about 15 minutes to allow them to firm up before cooking. These burgers are not as firm as traditional beef burgers and you don't want them to fall apart on the grill.
Then, when you're ready to eat, simply cook them in a hot skillet (I like to use cast iron) or throw them on a grill. I personally like the crust the burgers get when cooked in a skillet. Fish cooks quickly so all you need is a few minutes on each side and they're done!
How to serve salmon burgers
I like to serve these salmon burgers on toasted hamburger buns or bread. I top them off with a simple yogurt sauce mixed with fresh dill. After all, salmon and dill are a classic pairing.
Then you can add your favorite burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, etc. and you’re good to go! My personal favorite is creamy avocado- yum!
These salmon burgers can also be frozen. I usually make a large batch and then freeze half. That way I have them ready for a quick, nutritious weeknight meal anytime.
My Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce can be found in my book Natural Pregnancy Cookbook.
More tasty salmon recipes
Grilled Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ½ lbs skinless wild Alaskan salmon fillet
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- ¾ cup plain reduced fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh, chopped dill
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns or bread, toasted
- Assorted toppings like sliced avocado, tomato or baby spinach
- Finely dice half of the salmon into pieces about ¼-inch in size. Cut the remainder of the salmon roughly into chunks and place them in a food processor. Pulse until a paste forms. Transfer the paste to a large bowl and add the diced salmon, scallions, mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay, lemon juice, zest, breadcrumbs, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Gently mix the ingredients together until combined. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties. Refrigerate the burgers for 15 minutes to firm up before cooking.
- To make the sauce, mix the yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, and dill together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a large nonstick or cast iron skillet with olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the burgers (working in batches if needed) and cook 3-4 minutes until browned on the bottom. Flip the burgers over and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Serve the burgers on toasted buns with dill yogurt sauce and desired toppings.