Many people start the New Year off with resolutions to eat healthier, and this often includes eating more greens. But it can be easy to get stuck in a salad rut. I’m here to tell you that salad doesn’t have to be boring or bland! There are lots of fun ways to make your salads more interesting. I personally love adding a variety of ingredients with contrasting flavors and textures like chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and crumbled cheese.
And why limit yourself to salad? There are plenty of other easy ways to fight menu fatigue and incorporate greens into your meals. I like to add them to sandwiches, wraps and pizza or stir them into soups, chili, and pasta dishes. I even add them to smoothies for a quick boost of nutrients.
Crispy Chicken with Super Spinach Salad
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 5 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil spray
Super Spinach Salad:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 container (5 ounces) organicgirl SUPER SPINACH!
- 1 ½ cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- Set up a breading station for the chicken. Place the flour in a dish. Whisk the egg and egg white together with 1 tablespoon water in a second dish. Mix the whole wheat and panko breadcrumbs together in a third dish. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Working one at a time, dredge each breast first in the flour, shaking off any excess. Then dip in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spray with olive oil spray. Bake in the oven until browned, about 10 minutes. Flip and cook another 10 minutes until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the salad. Whisk the vinegar, oil, shallot and mustard together in a small bowl. Season the vinaigrette with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the vinaigrette with the salad greens and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a serving plate. Top the chicken with some salad and serve any extra salad on the side. Garnish with shavings of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.