These tuna tostadas are perfect for a family friendly weeknight meal!
As a chef and food blogger, I love spending time in the kitchen. I could spend an entire day braising a stew in the oven, making fresh pasta from scratch or even baking a homemade cake. I’ve always found cooking to be relaxing and a nice change of pace from my day job in the Emergency Room where I’m usually running around for 12 hours at a time. But I also have plenty of days when I want to get a nutritious meal on the table as quickly as possible. This is especially true now that it’s back to school season!
I realized early on in my blogging career that most of my readers are looking for healthy, uncomplicated, family- friendly meals that they can prepare in a reasonable amount of time. Once the kids are back in school, weeknights are busy enough- who wants to spend the whole evening slaving away over a hot stove? Now that my daughter Sienna has started preschool, when I pick her up at the end of the day, my main goal is to spend as much time with her as possible.
That’s why I love these Crispy Chipotle Tuna Tostadas. They’re delicious, easy to make, and you probably already have many of the ingredients in your pantry. Tostadas are basically crispy, open-faced tacos. They’re traditionally made by deep frying tortillas and topping them with a variety of ingredients like beans, meat and veggies. Kids usually love tostadas because they’re like little Mexican pizzas. You can even get them involved in the kitchen by setting up a toppings bar, and having them assemble their own tostadas.
To make my tostadas healthier, I like to bake them instead of frying them. Simply brush corn tortillas with olive oil and bake them in a hot oven until crispy. Then I top the crispy tortillas with avocados smashed with cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of salt.
Instead of topping my tostadas with the usual chicken or beef, I decided to try something different and use Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna. We eat a lot of seafood in my house because we love it and it has excellent nutritional benefits. If you don’t have access to fresh seafood, no worries- you can always turn to your pantry. Bumble Bee® offers responsibly wild caught albacore that is delicious, versatile, high in protein and absolutely perfect as the main ingredient in any meal. It’s also packed with beneficial nutrients like healthy omega-3 fats and plenty of vitamins and minerals.
From the moment you open the can, you can see the quality and the difference between solid white albacore and chunk light tuna. The albacore has a firm texture, light color and fresh taste. It’s a great addition to weeknight meals.
Here are some ideas for easy weeknight tuna dinners:
– Stir tuna into pasta dishes and add fresh herbs like basil or parsley for a pop of color and flavor. Check out my my Spaghetti with Tuna recipe
– Use tuna as a topping for pizza. Add a variety of fresh vegetables (like cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and bell peppers) and cheese
– Use tuna as a filling in quesadillas. Tuna, black beans, and Monterey Jack cheese are a terrific combination.
– Make burrito bowls. Top brown rice or quinoa with tuna and an assortment of toppings like shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole and Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Check out Bumblebee’s website to get full nutritional facts, lots of mouth-watering recipes, and to discover for yourself why Only Bumble Bee Albacore Will Do.™
Crispy Chipotle Tuna Tacos
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced chipotles in adobo plus 1 teaspoon sauce from the can
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (12 oz) can Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup shredded cabbage and carrots
- Lime wedges and cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and brush them with oil on both sides. Bake 4-5 minutes on each side until crispy. Remove from oven.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until slightly softened 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, cumin, and oregano and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add the tuna and stir gently to combine, trying to leave it in large pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Mash the avocado, lime juice, cilantro and salt together in a bowl, leaving some small chunks.
- Stir the yogurt, adobo sauce and lime juice together in a small bowl. Add a little bit of water to thin it out slightly so that you can drizzle it.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread each tortilla with some smashed avocado and top with some of the tuna. Sprinkle some shredded cabbage and carrots on top and drizzle with chipotle crema. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Click Below to Pin!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.